Macbook Pro doesn't recognize external HD and Bluetooth Unavailable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgacam2, Oct 19, 2009.

1. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Hey guys, so just like the title says I'm having some trouble as I did a recent upgrade to snow leopard and I have been beach balling a lot. I read that I should do a fresh install and heres where I ran into problems. My external HD is not appearing in finder. It used to work just fine before and it works fine on all of my roommates macs. I tried rebooting to see if it would fix the problem and all that happened was it made my bluetooth module say it was unavailable. Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

2. mgacam2 thread starter macrumors regular

mgacam2

3. mgacam2 thread starter macrumors regular

mgacam2

It's USB and I know my usb ports are fine since my flash drives mouse and everything else in between work just fine.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Bluetooth shares the USB bus so the problems are likely related (look at the USB section of System Profiler - your Bluetooth controller should show up there if it's working).

From what I can gather, resetting the SMC can fix it, at least temporarily - (see here for instructions: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411?viewlocale=en_US)

5. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

I had the same problems and I reset the SMC and it fixed it for a few weeks. I am not sure what caused it. I took it into the Apple Store and they had to send it off. They have had my computer literally for almost 2 weeks now. This is getting ridiculous. Good luck. There are a few threads on here about this problem. Search for bluetooth macbook problems.