Macbook pro doesnt seem as hot without keyboard protector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrPeanut, Sep 22, 2009.

1. MrPeanut macrumors regular

I took my keyboard protector off earlier to clean it and i've just realised after quite a while that my mcabook hasnt gotten really hot like it normally does when i use it in bed (because its usually on top of the mattress). I thought it was because it was on my bed that was the reason why it was getting so hot (80 degrees C +) but now without the keyboard protector that doesnt seem to be the case. Could the keyboard protector really be the reason why it was getting so hot?

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

3. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

I stop using mine because of this. I noticed it last week.

4. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

It might depend on which keyboard protector you have.

5. MrPeanut thread starter macrumors regular

Its the moshi one. Its been on my bed now for around 45 minutes and its aroun 43 degrees C. My brother used to have a PS1 years ago and it used to overheat when it was used on a carpet because there was no space to get air out from underneath. I assumed that was the reason why it was getting hot if i used it in bed or on my knee so i bought a belkin netbook cooler laprest and it looks like that was a waste of money now lol

6. John89 macrumors regular

Im pretty sure the macbook pros use the keyboard area to suck air for cooling.

7. MrPeanut thread starter macrumors regular

Its slowly raising now to 80 degrees C now. Maybe the keyboard protector isnt the main problem, it just speeds up the process of the macbook getting really hot.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Bought my UMBP back in October. Same issue. Yes, it does act like an insulator. Took it off, and temps dropped to "normal" levels.

9. vant macrumors 65816

Heat naturally rises out of the keyboard area. There is no fan to assist this.

Also, the keyboard protector reduces the surface area available from the aluminum.