Macbook pro doesn't turn on without battery??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rohnypod, Jul 18, 2010.

1. rohnypod macrumors newbie

I removed my battery and plugged the power cord, the small green light doesn't come and the mac book pro doesn't turn on.

Any Suggestions?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you leave the battery in the computer does the green light show up on the power adapter? Also, why are you trying to use the computer without the battery?

3. rohnypod thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply.
    Yes with the battery in, the green light appears.
    I spilled beer 3 days back. So I removed the battery and let the computer dry for 3 days. I wanted to try if the laptop is working again. So I wanted to first try without battery.

4. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

looks like your going to be starting with the battery in :/

Do you think the battery is the part that has been damaged the most by the spill or something?

5. rohnypod thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to try without battery. I may be doing something wrong.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There's really not much benefit to taking the battery out of the computer and starting it just connected to the power adapter. I'd start it with the battery in and then check to see if there are further problems. We can help troubleshoot the power adapter problem afterwards.

7. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

- Take Out Battery
    - - Plug In Power Adapter
    - - - Turn On Laptop

There isn’t much that you can screw up here.

8. Pax macrumors 6502a

did you spill beer on the charger, particularly the where the Magsafe plugs into the Mac? If so you may have fried the charger. I have seen on here cases where the charger will power the Mac, or charge the battery, but not both. You may have one of these. If that's the case you are lucky, you need a new (cheap) charger not a $$$$ new logic board.

If the Mac boots OK with the battery in, we have a number of possibilities
    - if everything is OK, you may have a firmware problem, "Free" to fix
    - if the Mac won't charge the battery, you could have a fried battery, charger, DC in board, or logic board
    - etc etc

we really won't know until you have got the battery & charger plugged in and you know whether it will boot or not & then if it boots whether it charges. As iBookG4user says, it's hard to diagnose until the Mac is in its default configuration.

9. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Sounds like your laptop is boned. Battery in or out, if it doesnt turn on, its dead.

10. rohnypod thread starter macrumors newbie

I put the battery back, but still I don't see the green light of the power cord and the mac won't boot. The battery and power cord were fine for a day after I spilled beer. Even the little button which shows battery power was working. Then one of the guys from this forum suggested to remove battery and let it dry for 2 days. So I removed battery and didn't touch it for 2 days. Today when I connected the power cord, the green light doesn't come and it won't turn on.

And yes I guess little beer was there near the power button.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Which model of MacBook Pro do you have? If you're lucky then it is just the DC-in board. Although if the battery has a charge and it still doesn't boot, that's significantly worse. Then it is probably the logic board.

12. rohnypod thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it in march,2009. It's a 17". At the back of Mac book it says: Model Number: A1297, Rated 18.5V(a dark line and a dotted line parallel to each other) 4.6A. EMC No: 2272.

Any Idea how much is it going to cost me :(

13. MacTech68, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Liquid spills in laptops are pretty horrible, usually requiring disassembly to check each module for signs of spillage. For long term reliability, any module with evidence of liquid spill should be replaced. You can get away with cleaning, and re-soldering, but it may be problematic within weeks, months or years due to corrosion.

If you're lucky enough to have home contents insurance, now is the time to take advantage of it. Most insurers here will cover you for accidental damage.

Oh... and beer is lovely after a few days inside a laptop. Furry. :eek:

EDIT: Hopefully, if you're insured, you can get a repairer to write it off. With "benefit of the doubt" in the client's (your) favour, labour and parts usually can write off a liquid spill especially if the logic board is damaged.

14. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

How much was it when you bought it?

15. MacTech68, Jul 18, 2010

MacTech68

Sad, but so often true.... :eek:

16. rohnypod thread starter macrumors newbie

17. MacTech68, Jul 18, 2010

MacTech68

No home contents insurance? Bought on a credit card that offers accident cover? :confused:

18. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Liquids and laptops are not compatible, I learned the hard way, even a little coffee can screw it...

19. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

:eek: +1

20. rohnypod thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know what a home insurance is.. but I pay some 45$ for every 4 months for some insurance.. I guess fire insurance for home.. and how does spilling beer on my laptop comes under insurance coverage?