MacBook Pro Driving Me Mad!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markbrads, May 23, 2012.

1. markbrads macrumors member

Hi Everybody,

I have a MacBook Pro 13" i7, 8GB and 1TB Drive. It's about 6 months old, it's the best notebook I've had with one exception and I'm hoping somebody in the world might be able to offer me some advice please.

I use the MacBook Pro everyday all day with Parallels 7 running Win 7 Pro, I am using 2 Cores in the VM, 4GB RAM and 256MB for the graphics on the Windows side, I have two monitors and split them using Ultra Mon which also works fantastic, now here's the problem....

When the MacBook Pro goes to screen saver or sleep it locks up daily resulting in me having to quit by using the power button, in the past I have lost the Windows VM and had to start again !!! I've kind of had enough now, I have tried different power settings, a cooling fan underneath, alternative screen savers, disabling the Windows screen saver etc.

Please can anybody give me some advice or ideas on how to deal with this, could I find a log file to point me in the right direction?

Any help ideas most appreciated, anybody else had this and cured it ???

Thanks in advance.

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Perhaps troubleshoot by using different virtualization software? Test out VirtualBox and see if you still have the same issues?

3. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Some things to consider:

1) You're running multiple applications so the odds that the problem is app related is most likely.

2) eliminate 1 application at a time, put your mac in sleep or screen saver mode, see what happens

3) repeat steps until mac is no longer having problems.

4) Check for software updates. You may want to do this first.

5) once the problem has been pointed to an application causing the problem, assuming there are no software updates, call vendor for that app for trouble shooting.

6) If you have exhausted the above steps it might be the mac itself. Such as RAM, Hard drive, motherboard, the OS itself, etc

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm just going to mention that it's unlikely that the temperature means much of anything unless you're nearing the point of throttling, and if it's experiencing problems that are actually heat related problems beneath that, I would stress test it to see what may be failing if it's under warranty.

5. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

If the 'going to Sleep/ Screensaver' is the issue..

I agree with the Multiple APP's / Conflict / Trouble Shooting thoughts.. but, if the 'going to Sleep/ Screensaver' is the issue, have you tried the Caffeine APP to dissuade that happening..?? Seems to work fine for me if I do not want mine to sleep, during work where I am at-away every several minutes.. :apple:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24120/caffeine

I am not aware of any downside, although ,maybe someone here will post something if so.. my computer is a late 2011 MBP 2.2GHz i7 15" Hi-Res.. it has been on mine for 6-7 months so far.. ;)

6. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Ha! I forgot about the Caffeine App. That would probably fix it. Can't you just adjust the sleep/screen saver settings to "always on" like you can in windows 7?

7. markbrads thread starter macrumors member

Could I look at log files possibly to point me in the right direction?

I have also looked at the Energy Saver options on the MBP and I'm going to try seleting the option "Restart automatically if the computer freezes"

Can anybody comment on my Paralles Setup, are my settings correct:-

Using 2 x Cores
    4GB RAM
    256MB Graphics

Thanks to everybody who has posted suggestions, its really appreaciated.

markbrads

8. Donka macrumors 68020

I don't use Parallels so can't comment explicitly on that but have you tried changing it to use one core?

9. markbrads thread starter macrumors member

Funny you mention using one core i'm doing that now, I have also changed the setting in Energy Saver to 'Restart Automatically if the computer freezes'

Nothing is straight forward with computers is it :confused:

10. Donka macrumors 68020

11. markbrads thread starter macrumors member

Nothing at all :confused:

12. Donka macrumors 68020

Thanks for feeding back.

13. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I take it you've tried contacting Parallels support.