MacBook Pro dropped, Power button ineffective, hard drive/fan spins then stops, HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ggregory60879, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Ggregory60879 macrumors newbie

Good evening,

A few weeks ago i dropped my MacBook Pro (i5 Mid 2012) and it failed to turn on, battery had charge in it at the time.

When i press the power button nothing happens. I have also tried resetting the SMC, nothing happens.
    Next i plugged in the mag safe charger, before i pressed the power button i saw the charging light come on for a second then cut out.
    If i press the power buttong, nothing happens.

I opened the back of the machine and tried the above steps again to see what happened.

When i press the power button nothing happens.

When i plugged in the mag safe charger, before ti pressed the power button i see the fan starts to spin for maybe 2 seconds then stops. I hear the hard drive start to spin but that also stops at the same time, during this the front batter charging indicator light also illuminates, but also cuts out.

Its like when you attach the charger it wants to do something but stops everything after 2 seconds. I left it plugged in for maybe 1 min and its just repeated this action maybe 20 times.

At no stage when i press the power buttong, plugged in or not does it react.

I have taken out the hard drive and plugged into another manchine as an external drive and it works perfectly. Hard drive is no problem! From what i can see all connections are ok, and appear to be plugged in correctly, no burn marks or damage visible.

Logic board failure from impact?

Thanks,

Gary

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Take it to an Apple store, but it sounds like a power or logic board failure.

3. MacPlague macrumors newbie

yea definitely take it to apple, and see whats the problem, either way it sounds like you will need a repair.