Macbook Pro drops Wifi with Bluetooth (Magic mouse)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryanuk, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Ryanuk macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've just bought a new Macbook Pro 15" Retina 2.3Ghz 16GB upgrade. I've also got a (very) old Dell Inspiron 9400 which I used to compare broadband speed with because I noticed that the Macbook has been running extremely slow. They are both exactly the same distance to the router, running on different wireless networks (7) whilst the others are running on 1-6 and 8-11.

I have the Bluetooth enabled and the Magic Mouse is sitting about 5-10cm away from the right side of the machine. The Dell is reaching 7Mb Download and 0.86Mb upload, whilst the Mac is only giving various results between 0.008Mb and 1Mb download, whilst the upload is 0.086Mb too with the Bluetooth switched on. If I switch the Bluetooth off and move the Magic Mouse away, it resumes full speed and hits the same level as the Dell.

I've spoken with Apple Care who asked me to check for some electric issues and reset them using Shift + Ctrl + Alt then switch on. He went through a few different procedures but nothing really helped.

Has anyone else come across this?

Regards,

Ryan

2. d00d macrumors regular

Sounds like an RF interference problem. Unless you set your base station to use 5GHz, they're both using the 2.4GHz range.

3. l.w41sh macrumors 6502

4. krondek macrumors newbie

I've been struggling with this issue on my 2013 Retina MBP for MONTHS and finally a senior Applecare tech figured it out:

This summarizes my problem:

With bluetooth enabled, my wifi was VERY slow to connect (sometimes not at all), and my Internet speeds were as much as 60% slower.

Delete the following file: Library > Preferences > com.apple.bluetooth.plist

Restart your mac

This seems to have fixed all my issues with wifi.