Macbook Pro dual monitor connection question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by -Blanco-, Aug 18, 2009.

1. -Blanco- macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I've tried searching but I'm just confusing myself.:eek:
    Basically,I want to connect my uMBP to an external monitor and run a dual monitor setup.
    I have a 24" Dell display in mind:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7&Category=174&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=2

Now, I know I'll need a mini-display port adapter to connect my mac to the monitor, but I'm not sure what one.
    The max resolution of the monitor is 2048 x 1152. I've seen Mini-display-port to HDMI cables cheap on ebay and I was wondering if these would be ok? I'm worried this kind of adapter can only support a certain screen resolution which would be less then ideal for the monitor in question as I've read that mini-display-to-DVI ports only support a certain resolution and expensive dual-dvi adapters are required to run higher res screens such as 30" monitors...

Also, can I still use the MBP keyboard while in this setup or will I need to buy an external keyboard?

Thanks for reading, help appreciated!!:)

Edit: Forgot to mention, the mac in question is a 17" uMBP, if that makes a difference which I'm sure it does having the 9600M GT with 512MB...

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I was told by an Apple Genius (over the internet, mind you) that the mini-display-port is for Apple Cinema Displays only.

You might want to ask a few people at either the Apple Store or the Dell Store. Just remember that the Apple store will know which cord to use to plug in to your MBP, and the Dell Store will know which one you should get. (VGI or DVI).

And yes, you can use your Mac's keyboard using a dual-display setup.

3. -Blanco- thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply
    There aren't any apple stores in my country (Ireland) so I'll have to ring up apple directly tomorrow...
    I could've sworn I've seen uMBPs with non apple branded monitors...I'll post back when I get onto apple..:cool:

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mini-display port will work fine with non-Apple monitors using the correct adaptors. I use mine with a 21" Dell LCD and a 40" Samsung LCD TV without issue. The only issues that there have been is with the dual-link adaptor that seems to not like non-Apple 30" displays. And even with Apple ones it seems to sometimes have issues.

5. -Blanco- thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah good, didn't much like the idea of having to dish out for the apple cinema display after just ordering the notebook!

Robbieduncan, can I ask what port(s) you use with your two monitors? (Dvi,vga,hdmi?) Have you had any trouble with the different resolutions?

Thanks

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

DVI and HDMI (both via an Apple mini Display Port->DVI adaptor, then a DVI->HDMI cable for that connection). Both screens run at full native resolution. No issues on the TV running at 1080p.

7. -Blanco- thread starter macrumors newbie

8. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Im running minidisplay port to DVI on a Dell 2408WFP. Runs up beyond 1080p to 1920x1200.