Macbook Pro Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ste93, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ste93 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I'm aware there are many posts already discussing this topic, but non have solved my problem.

I have a MacBook Pro 15" early 2011, which I know can run 2 additional monitors. An Apple Thunderbolt Display and a Samsung Plasma TV.

I have them connected up as follows:
    MBP -> ATD (connected via minidisplay/Thunderbolt) -> Samsung TV (Connected to ATD via minidisplay to HDMI Adapter)

I can't seem the get the Samsung TV to work. I'm beginning to the think the TV must be connected the MBP directly rather than daisy-chained.

Does anyone know how I could solve this problem?

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

This is the desktop Mac Pro forum. I have asked the mods to move your post to the MacBook Pro laptop forum so that you should get the appropriate help.

3. SuperPolli macrumors regular

Weird Problem But Let's Try

Aside from this being in the wrong section of the forum, I see no reason why I can't try to help you now...

OK, so it could be that the TV must have a direct connection rather than being daisy chained. That's actually a very strong possibility. Not being familiar with your exact TV the most that I can do is assume that there is a setting somewhere in either the Display Settings on your MacBook Pro or a setting somewhere on your TV.

That's the best I can do for you. Sorry.

4. ste93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. New to the forum, I misread the section name. Thanks for your help anyways.

I will take a look through the TV and MBP settings for a solutions.

5. HazzaB macrumors newbie

You can only daisy chain to another TB device from a TB Display (not a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter). You can use an intermediary TB device between the TB Display and the Mini Display Port adapter, which should allow the TV to function.

This works by the intermediary requesting another channel over the TB, and another DisplayPort signal is sent over (the TB display consumes the DisplayPort signal on the first channel).

There are a few threads floating around the web over this :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1lsbc6/

6. ste93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. That explains it now, thanks for your help.