MacBook Pro Dual SSD Raid 0 issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milesfoxwood, Feb 20, 2011.

1. milesfoxwood macrumors newbie

I recently bought a data doubler and two 100GB Mercury Extreme Pro RE SSD's from OWC.

I installed them into my 13" MacBook Pro (late 2009) model id 5,5).

The first problem I ran in to was the fact that when I tried to do a fresh install with a new OSX disc off an external USB SuperDrive the computer wouldn't allow it (I just came across rEFIt which might have solved this problem), it would come up with the apple logo splash screen like it was starting to boot from the disc, but then switch to a "not allowed" symbol ( circle with a slash through it).

I finally reinstalled the internal SuperDrive loaded a fresh copy of OSX, swapped back in the 2nd SSD, cloned the boot drive onto an external, booted of the external, raided the SSD's using disk utility (wanted to use Softraid, but then the MacBook wouldn't recognize the raid as a boot drive), finally I cloned the boot drive back from the external to the raid.

This worked and I finally got it all working EXCEPT,

Now the MacBook doesn't recognize the external SuperDrive.

Which is a problem, because I have software to install (like Final Cut) that is only on discs.

I've tried repairing disk permissions, but that doesn't help.

And the weird part is if I do an option boot, the SuperDrive shows up since it has an OSX install DVD in it, so the computer can see the disc drive. It just doesn't recognize it once OSX is booted up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is getting really frustrating...

2. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

what external super drive are you using the MBA one? That may be the issue.

3. milesfoxwood thread starter macrumors newbie

It might be, although I've used the MacBook Air SuperDrive with the mac mini before and it worked fine. Also why is it not letting me install OSX from the superdrive?