MacBook Pro Due for a Redesign in 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MICHAELSD, Feb 20, 2016.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Judging by recent history, with the most radical redesigns of the MacBook Pro occurring in 2008 and 2012, this year the MacBook Pro is due for another radical redesign. I purchased both the 2008 and 2012 models, mainly because in between there was absolutely no incentive for me to upgrade. If I were to purchase the current 15" Retina MacBook Pro today I would literally feel like I re-bought the exact same system despite the minimally-noticeable performance improvement.

I foresee Apple trimming the laptop's size down into more of an "Ultrabook" form factor, incorporating 3D Touch into the 15" model, and perhaps even adding a touchscreen of some sort. The more unfortunate changes could include a minimizing of ports. Perhaps the 13" model will only include USB-C and a Lightning port in lieu of all the ports it has now.

To be frank all I really care about, since performance will undoubtedly be lightning-fast as the 2012 model still is, is a totally new display. The Retina Display is gorgeous for computer work and works well with the Mac interface, but (as spoiled as this sounds since most laptops, and heck even televisions, have awful displays) for watching TV shows and movies the experience significantly pales in comparison to my Pioneer KRP-500 plasma television -- although, every display pales in comparison to a Pioneer plasma. (This matters so much to me since I can foresee in the future doing a lot of my media consumption on a laptop if I were to adopt a more on-the-go lifestyle.) An OLED display would be a huge incentive to upgrade. It would be impossible to go back from a Retina OLED display as it could be nearly as perfect as a display could get.

2. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

As much as I love my 15" I would be very happy with a redesign to shrink the footprint of the 15 inch.