Macbook Pro+Duet: Intermittent static in monitors...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Beau10, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Guys,

I just upgraded from a Firebox to an Apogee Duet. I'm using a Macbook Pro and Rockit RP5G2 monitors...

So with the Firebox I had a fairly present hum hooked up, not playing anything, just idling. With the Duet the hum dissipated and is now almost silent. The only thing is static will come through generally when I do something processor intensive (or with power adaptor disconnected a light squeal), and while still fairly quiet, the fact that it comes and goes is driving me bonkers enough that I am turning the monitors off while not listening to music or recording. I purchased a Belkin PF30L, a fairly hefty 10 outlet 2 stage power conditioner, and while things may be a bit quieter it seems the pattern remains. I'm bummed.

Any suggestions? I've played a bit with the position of my wiring but it doesn't seem to help much. One thing too is the Duet is a used unit that's a few months old. It has a bit of patina on the big knob that indicate it probably was thrown in a gig bag and jostled around a bit. Could it possibly be damaged, or is this typical due to having unbalanced outs? Note that it's completely silent on the headphone out.

2. DJJONES macrumors 6502

i would think something is wrong with that duet.
    i wouldnt expect that from such a quality unit and quality brand.

but i will say that sometimes when opening different daws and switching between different programs like vlc media player and windows media player my traveler does make static noises because its trying to serve each program.
    but if your constantly getting that noise when playing songs there might be something wrong.
    i only get that noise when switching between programs and opening different windows that might use processing power from the traverler.

3. Beau10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, thanks for the response.

Yeah, the problem is as you describe - it only happens when the processor is actually doing something.

I actually solved it though by relocating the power filter strip. Not sure why moving it a couple feet would matter but now it's dead quiet.

4. voxnj macrumors regular

==

This may not be your problem, but after a week of tweaking and swapping cables, I discovered that the source of my intermittent static was my Iphone. Yep, basic GSM interference. I hope your problem is as simple.

5. Beau10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hah, I do get that when my iPhone is within a couple feet of one of my monitors. The iPhone makes a different noise, it's a "beep-beep" thing, whereas this is a rush of noise that sounds like tearing a sheet of paper. But in any case I solved the problem by changing the location of my powerstrip where it was vertical and now it's horizontal.

BTW, I have to say now this is handled putting the Duet in the mix has made my monitors extremely quiet. I can't even tell they're on unless I put my ear within a few inches. Big change from the Firebox.