MacBook Pro DVD-drive issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marcus89, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Marcus89 macrumors newbie

Hi!

My MacBook Pro DVD-drive seems to be broken! It won't read any disks, I have tried Movies and empty disks, they keep popping out.

Is it possible to repair it or giving it a diagnosis using the disk utility? I am open to all suggestions!

Regards

2. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Have you tried inserting the software install discs that came with your MBP? If they don't read, then you probably have a hardware fault which needs to be fixed under warranty.

3. Marcus89 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I have not, but will do. Some disks actually work.
    Can it be a software error?

4. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

If the original discs read, then I would suggest that you check that your movies have the same DVD region code as the DVD drive in your laptop. This may be why it spits them out.

As for blank discs, that's a tricky one. Some computers will spit out a blank disc if there isn't suitable DVD writing software installed, but I'm pretty sure the MBP has this capability built in.

5. Marcus89 thread starter macrumors newbie

If the region code is wrong shouldn't the drive tell me that is is? ususally it does.

Should it matter if the disk is R- or R+?

6. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

The MBP will read and write both -R and +R discs. If a DVD disc has been written incorrectly, and not 'finalised', the computer could potentially spit it out. However, this should never happen with DVD movies. And yes, I would expect DVD Player to tell you if the region code does not match on your movie disc.