Macbook Pro DVD drive not working properly - help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Queenredspecial, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Queenredspecial macrumors regular

Hello!

My DVD drive has been screwy lately -- it will play some DVDs, but not others -- perfectly good ones, even after having played the very same ones.

Also, burning CDs -- sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

Is there any kind of maintenance I can do? (Can't afford to get a new one right now...)

Stats: MacBook Pro, first generation. OS 10.4.11

Anyone else having the same issues?

Thank you!

2. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

3. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I have a similar problem with my MBP1,1. Some CDs with read perfectly, while others will simply be auto ejected without reason (those auto-ejected have no scratches and are in perfect working condition and also work in other people's computers). I've been told my Superdrive is dead and not to get another replacement because Superdrives apparently suck. I don't really need an optical drive, but if you do, I would buy a USB enclosure for a desktop drive (or just an external DVD drive is good too) - you should be able to get something like this for <$50.

4. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know! I didn't know that you could buy an external DVD drive to use with a laptop. Thanks!

5. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

No problem. Here a link to a list of them. There are a ton and if you feel more comfortable going to Best Buy or something, those drives should be around the same price. If you can wait, I would wait for one to go on sale from Newegg (good deals usually pop up on there, esp if you're not from California to avoid the sales tax).

6. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very, very much. :)