MacBook Pro DVD problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manzoire, Sep 1, 2007.

1. manzoire macrumors newbie

Ok, so i put my dvd in and i put it in my macbook pro and then after a minute, it just spits it back out. i tried almost any other dvd that i had and the same thing happened. i opened up the dvd player and it didnt sense any dvd.

i also placed the option of the dvd player opening automatically when a dvd was put in the laptop. How do i fix this??????

2. Iso79 macrumors member

super drives are junk. just get an external drive.

3. manzoire thread starter macrumors newbie

i know, i have dvd player but i like watchin movies on my laptop. so there are no explanations????

4. Osprey macrumors 6502

Since mine seems to work just fine even with my own DVD made movies I recorded on other machines using non-Apple software, I would send it in for repair. It should work! One thing though make sure you are set to the right region.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's the worst advice I've ever heard. SuperDrives aren't any worse than any other DVD±RW drives.

If the thing is still under warranty, it should be repaired. Buying something extra because something else doesn't work is unnecessary.

To the original poster: talk to Apple and have it repaired or replaced. They have an obligation to make their machines work as designed.

You could try running the diagnostics that came with your machine but contact Apple.

6. manzoire thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies guys. i'll see what apple can do.

7. Thetinguy macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me, however I was running Vista at the time so I assumed it was windows. Switched to OS X and it read the DVD.

8. jakobhansen macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem. I tried a hard reset of the optical drive, and it worked. All you have to do is turn off the computer, then start it up while holding down the trackpad. You can hear when it resets! Now you should be good to go :)

9. joneve macrumors newbie

Internal drives are just junk

Thank you to the person who said that and ti buy an external drive. I have had a MacBook Pro 3 years old and have had to replace my dvd cd internal drive twice while it was under warranty. Now it isn't, and I'm going to get an external one after reading that advice now that my drive isn't working again. I don't use the drive that often, about 15 dvd or cd discs to burn a year and maybe playing twice as many once or twice. A Radio Shack rep talked me into buying a DV Laser Lens Cleaner but my drive won't accept it!

Junk. When I got my drives replaced the Mac store technicians did not inspect the drives, try to clean them or anything. Just installed new ones. The in-take guys told me both times they don't bother repairing them - not worth the time. Still, I didn't get the message to get an external drive when the computer is no longer under warranty until I read your advice.

10. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I have yet to have a drive actually crap out on me, but I can agree that quality-wise, they suck. I use my DVD drive to rip DVDs and CDs. When I sold my '08 MBP and picked up an Air, I needed a DVD drive until I got my new 2011 MBP. I bought a cheap $30 from Newegg, and I used it for a couple of weeks. I've noticed that the new "cheap" drive rips DVDs about twice as fast as the old Superdrive. Now that I've gotten my 2011 MBP, I can confirm that the Superdrive is ridiculously slow. I will rip out the Superdrive when I get a chance (put my Optibay back in), and continue to use my new trusty external drive.