Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterdactyl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
hey guys.
Do you know if there is a way I can turn off the dvd rom boot up sound? it's the sound that occurs when you take your computer out of sleep or press the dvd-rom button next to the f-12. I just want to hear it everytime i start up my computer...

thanks
Peter

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
there isn't like a little speaker in there making that sound... in case you didn't realize.

so when do you want to and when do you not want to hear it?

don't press the eject key if you dont want to hear that ...

peterdactyl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
i know that. I just don't want to hear it every time i turn on my computer. can i disable the dvd rom drive during boot ups?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
that's part of the self-testing... i don't think you can turn it off... try macosxhint tho

amusice

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2007
Its not a start up feature, your SuperDrive is malfunctioning. Commen in the UJ- 857 SuperDrives that shipped with the orginial MB and MBP

trudd

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Texas
Its not a start up feature, your SuperDrive is malfunctioning. Commen in the UJ- 857 SuperDrives that shipped with the orginial MB and MBP

Malfunctioning? Somebody please shed some light to this. I bought a 2.16ghz CD MBP from a friend and have had to send it in twice already for logic/motherboard replacement. Say it ain't so...

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA

Uhhh no. All of that model do that, its not malfunctioning. Brand new ones do it too.

Its a self test.

But yes the UJ-857 blows, I know mine crapped out.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006

do you even have a mbp?

its a "normal" sound.

I hear the LG drives that can come with the MBP aren't any better. In fact readers at macintouch.com report that LG drives that were sent in were replaced with the UJ-857 drives...as of this year.

Xingus

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
I also have this cheap sounding meeeewheeeewapp sound every time I wake up the MacBookPro and it makes me crazy. Sounds like a having robot sheep in the box.

Is there really no hack to stop this "self-test". As I rarely use the drive I wonder that it may even increase wear-off than to "test" anything.

What an embarrassing design mistake.

Any help would be much appreciated.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Is everyone so eccentric that they cant handle the slight noise of the self test when you start of wake your computer?

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009

It's spelled "common," and it's a self-test noise. 2007? Is that what year it is? Huh.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
This thread may contribute to Apple not using optical drives in future computers. :p

I so look forward to that. Just imagine what they could do with that space. I hate disks. I hope they die in 2 years, max.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I also have this cheap sounding meeeewheeeewapp sound every time I wake up the MacBookPro and it makes me crazy. Sounds like a having robot sheep in the box.

Is there really no hack to stop this "self-test". As I rarely use the drive I wonder that it may even increase wear-off than to "test" anything.

What an embarrassing design mistake.

Any help would be much appreciated.

People obviously don't realize this isn't a self-check; when you don't have a disk in the drive and since the drive is slot-loading, this sound is called closing the "tray", which every computer with a tray-loading drive does when you boot up the computer (assuming the drive can close itself). Just with a slot-loading drive there is no tray to close, so instead you have the drive trying to pull in whatever disk may be in the slot. There is no proximity sensor in your drive.

Try it on any desktop with a tray with the tray open and turn the computer on—the tray will close!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.