Macbook Pro DVI-HDMI to 40" 1080p LCD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by poopface, Oct 27, 2011.

1. poopface macrumors newbie

Ok, I have a mid 2010 Macbook pro i7 8gigs 17". I recently got a 40" 1080p HD Dynex LCD.

It has a VGA port and two HDMI ports.

I had my macbook plugged up via the VGA port and it was looking pretty darn good. I have my PS3 hooked up via one of the HDMI slots and it looks amazing.

I recently got a DVI to HDMI adapter so I could plug my macbook in via HDMI hoping for a better/full HD picture.

I plugged it up and it looks...well...kinda like crap. Honestly, the VGA looks better. Everything looks really aliased via the HDMI. You can see a lot of aliasing and it doesn't look smooth and crisp like the VGA. I have a rip of Scott Pilgrim Blu-Ray and I played it with both the VGA and HDMI and the VGA still wins out even on video because it still looked a bit aliased with the HDMI and the VGA looked a bit smoother.

I'm just wondering why this is? I thought HDMI was supposed to be a better connection?

My PS3 via HDMI looks sharp as a frickin' tack on this screen, but I play a blu ray on my mac through HDMI, it looks a bit aliased. What gives?

Thanks for any input!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It likely looks bad because your settings are off.

What's the resolution in the Displays pref pane?

3. poopface thread starter macrumors newbie

In the pref pane it has these options 480p 720p 1080i and 1080p. I have it set to 1080p. I feel like it looks slightly better at 1080i. I feel like it looks even a little better at 720p, but then it won't fit on the screen no matter how many settings i mess with on the monitor and the computer.

Either way...no matter what setting...it doesn't look good, and certainly not better than the VGA output.

The monitors native resolution is 1920 x 1080 at 60hz.

----------

My LCD is this one - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex&#...HDTV/1894176.p?id=1218315559764&skuId=1894176

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

HDMI connections from computers, especially to TVs, can be a bit tricky. Some TVs look good, others, not so much

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Where did you get your adapter?

Really? I myself have never experienced an issue using DVI->HDMI with a TV. It's always looked great.