Macbook Pro: DVI to component?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jdog, Jun 18, 2008.

1. jdog macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new macbook pro and wanted to connect it to my TV (mainly for playing guitar hero :rolleyes:). Problem is, my TV is almost 10 years old and only has component inputs on the back. Found a DVI to component cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=2705 , but it warns that it will not work with certain cards. Any help/suggestions? From what I've heard, it's not very straight forward. TIA

2. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

as long as...

... you can get video through your component, it should work fine.:apple:
    btw, GH3 is a Great Game!

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That should be good connectivity-wise, but you will need to get your TV resolution, refresh rates, signal timings for the whole deal to work correctly.

Also you will need something for the audio, but that's easy.

4. jdog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I was aware of routing the sound separately, but what about the refresh rates/resolutions/timing? That doesn't sound mundane. Not a caveman, but not a computer whiz either. Any guidance is much appreciated!

5. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I seem to remember trying this once. It did not work. Composite video works fine, but not component.

6. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

The MacBook Pro's output is DVI-I, so it sends both a digital and analog signal. Component is analog, which is why the cable has a DVI-I connector so you should be okay.

Set your PC to output 640x480@60Hz and it will probably work.

7. jdog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - bought the cable, we'll see how it goes...

8. CPngN macrumors newbie

CPngN

Any Luck?

Any luck with this cable? I'm looking at doing the same: MacBook Pro DVI output into component 480p or 1080i (Sony HD 36" 4:3 TV).

I'm trying to get it working "for now" with Apple's DVI->VGA --> Matrox VGA->S-Video converter-cable (circa G400 days). I think I can get that working if I just knew what timings and such to use, but if I'm going to screw with that any longer, I'd rather get component and make it more worth-while.

9. jdog thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, no luck. The closest setting was 640x480 @ 60 Hz, but that did not work either. Let me know how the s-video conversion goes. Just realized my tv has an s-video input as well :(

10. CPngN macrumors newbie

CPngN

Solved! :)
    I went to Fry's Electronics, bought the Apple DVI to S-Video converter/dongle for $19 (same price everywhere), reset everything from SwitchResX and DisplayConfigX, rebooted, and everything works great!
    I can do 1024x768 over S-Video and read text on my CRT TV without changing font sizes!! I turned the "best for video"option on, which I believe is meant to blur the pic a bit, but in my case, it made things twice as clear. Seemed more like the toggle between interlaced and progressive mode on my TV. And a simple check box enables overscan.. so if you need to see 100% of what's going on, you can (came fairly close to filling the screen without going over), or if you prefer to fill the entire screen, turn overscan on and get the traditionaly tube TV treatment.
    Now if only audio went over the same cable. it's a bit messy with all these converters and cables dangling from my laptop to the TV. But at least this simple $19 dongle is recognised properly and solves all of the video problems. Not to mention amazing clarity as a res I never thought I'd see over S-Video (1024x768 - great for 720 stuff!). I never had such a great experience with TV output from my PCs!

C

11. jdog thread starter macrumors newbie

Isn't the apple dvi smaller than a regular size dvi though (used on macbooks)? I have a newer macbook pro, which has the full size dvi port. Correct me if wrong. Thanks

12. CPngN macrumors newbie

CPngN

Uhm... maybe you read that wrong. Not "apple dvi" but Apple's "DVI-to-Svideo" adapter. Yes, it's a full size DVI-I (I think it's I, where there's both digital and analog). They only sell/make one $19 DVI-to-S-Video_and_composite converter that I've seen. And that's the one I used on my current (Jun 08) MacBook Pro.

I love this freakin machine!

13. jdog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the clarification! Picked up the s-video adapter and got it working! Haven't tried GH3 on it yet, but should be no problem with the right settings.