Macbook Pro dying at inopportune time, now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AlmaReville, Apr 19, 2016.

1. AlmaReville macrumors newbie

My late-2011 Macbook Pro's hard drive is clicking and sounds like it is on its last legs. (Yes I have backed up.) I don't know if it can survive until June/July. What would you do if you were me? All I do with my laptop is surf the web (up to 15 tabs open at once) and use Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. No gaming, no intensive graphics, no video editing. I do own a lot of wired peripherals (mouse, speakers, monitor, optical drive) and use my laptop to charge my Kindle and Fitbit, so having standard USB ports (and Thunderbolt) would be more convenient than USB-C port(s). I really don't want to buy the 12-inch Macbook, since even the 13-inch screen is a bit small for my taste. Should I just buy the Macbook Air 13 inch that now comes with 8 GB RAM, even though Air may be obsolete soon? Should I try to [painfully] use my iPad as my primary computing device until June/July? What could I potentially gain by waiting a few months if I'm only a casual laptop user? Would very much appreciate peoples' perspectives.

2. kpaaron macrumors newbie

kpaaron

I'd upgrade to a SSD. I swapped out the failing HD in my 2010 MBP last year and was amazed by the performance boost. Even if you eventually upgrade the machine, you can put the SSD in an enclosure and use it as an external drive.

3. saytheenay macrumors member

Given your use case, any Apple laptop will work for you.

I had a fully loaded 2010 MBP and upgraded to a fully loaded 2013 MBA (8/i7/512) and I am a power user (virtual machines, development, graphics design). It has been a dream machine and the best computer I have owned to date (I returned a 2012 rMBP due to lagginess). It is also my first Mac that doesn't run warm/hot.

I will be getting another one a couple weeks before WWDC (my wife wants my old one), although I highly doubt we will see any more MBA spec updates.

4. JAK2015 macrumors newbie

5. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

I bought a base 2012 rMBP and returned it for a base MBA. Still going strong, but display is showing its age. Only has 4 GB RAM too. But still a very capable machine.

I've been contemplating a rMB, love the form and screen and keyboard. But they're expensive! And I dont need a Pro. But the screen on the MBA keeps me from pulling the trigger since it just got bumped to 8GB RAM. That's being said, I'm curious as to your reasoning for buying another MBA with such an outdated screen.

6. saytheenay macrumors member

I am one of those people that is really sensitive to lag--I just can't handle it. It breaks my focus and hinders my productivity.

The screen is less important to me than perceived performance. To my eyes, the MBA is very fluid with no lag even when I connect it to my Dell U2715, whereas every interaction I have had with a rMBP (purchased or at a store) is maddening for me, especially the 13" rMBP.

Finally, due to the work I do (software engineering with a lot of virtualization), I typically get a fully loaded system; a fully loaded 15" rMBP is almost twice the price of a fully loaded MBA. I mention the 15" because the minimum resolution I like is 1449x900. The 13" at 1280x800 won't work for me because if the resolution is set to anything other than "Best for retina", I notice the lag even more.

7. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reply

8. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

I've searched MR and Google for this subject, but cannot find a definite answer:
    MBA i7 vs MBP i5, just in terms of CPU, what's better? Not price, screen, ports, or GPU.

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Just would buy a hard drive from Newegg. A 1TB hard drive costs $50.

Why get a new laptop when the old one is adequate for your needs?