Macbook Pro dying? Nvidia Geforce 8600

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eyemacg5, Oct 27, 2008.

1. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

It started this morning..
    When I open my laptop up from closed clamshell, there are like flickering lines on the screen. I'll try and take a picture next time it happens.
    Its out of apple care only by about a month and its already had the top clamshell replaced before..

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Isn't there a known issue with the 8600 video card? I have that same card in my MBP and was reading something about nVidia acknowledging a problem but I'm unsure if Apple has released an official statement about it.

Edit: Here is the official statement from Apple

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

They will fix it if the problem is indeed caused by the nVidia chip (it sounds like you've got a case for it, but Apple will ultimately decide) up to two years from purchase date.

3. eyemacg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

Yeah I'm sure that nVidia said all the 8600 cards were defective.

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

not all the cards are defective.
    if you are having video problems and it's determined that it's the gpu, they have agreed to repair/replace the gpu up to 2 years after your original purchase date. if you bought applecare then it's still the 3 years. take it to an apple store or call applecare.

good luck!

5. TXBDan macrumors regular

6. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Yes - not all cards are defective - it was only some batches.

However, Apple say they will replace them whether they are in or out of warranty - so just tae it along to the store. I got mine done.

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

"Apple say they will replace them whether they are in or out of warranty"? up to how long, indefinitely? this is the 1st time i have read this. i thought it was just 2yrs or 3yrs with AC

8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

So did I.

9. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

So are we absolutely sure that it was only some batches. Not sure if that is truly the official word.:confused:

10. Terror Bill macrumors newbie

Clamshell replacement of eyemacg5

Hey eyemacg5, can you tell me why you had your clamshell replaced on your MBP please.

I have a Macbook Pro and the screen blows out and goes completely blurred. Then if you move the screen a little bit, it comes back. The shop has said it is NOT the nvidia card and that it has passed the harware test, and that it must be a loose connection to the screen. They also said that it would be at my expense to fix this as it is only the graphics card on this generation which has an extended warranty. My machine is 18 months old, and Im not impressed about this at all because I have looked after it.

Basically Im looking for other cases of MBP of this generation that have had their clamshell replaced for defects. My friend had his replaced just within his warranty, for the same screen problem, and it wasnt the ndivia card that was replaced. If anyone else has had this done please let me know.

Thanks!