MacBook Pro dying, power issues. Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdavis81, Feb 7, 2012.

1. sdavis81 macrumors newbie

About a week ago my 2008 non-unibody MBP started to die for no reason. I have a battery that has never been replaced and though it will last about 20 minutes it is essentially dead. It would die when the power cord was plugged in though, which I did not think it is supposed to do. When dead it would not start at all.

My old battery info is as follows:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Device Name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0
    PCB Lot Code: 0
    Firmware Version: 110
    Hardware Revision: 500
    Cell Revision: 303
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 916
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 1042
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 730
    Condition: Replace Now
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -2149
    Voltage (mV): 11352

I noticed at times the LED on the power cord was not lit, and then 5 minutes later after doing nothing it would be lit. Sometimes the computer would die and the LED would not light (obviously won't work here), sometimes the LED would be lit red and it would still not start.

I need a new battery, and probably also a new cord, so ordered them.

I got the battery and it cranked right up. Power cord LED is red. Desktop indicates "battery is not charging". I can't make this post and also put the stats but essentially it gives a mAmp total of 2500/5500 (ballpark), and status not charging.

Why would my new battery not charge? Is this my power cord? Right now the LED on the cord just went from red to out. It has been red for 2 hours though.

1) why would new battery not be charging when LED on power cord is red?
    2) is my power cord bad? I have a new one coming, but they shipped it from CHINA! Wow. 4 days before it gets here.
    3) Is something worse wrong? This is my bigger fear. Something worse that the cord and the battery.

Thanks for any insight.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. sdavis81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I reset the SMC tonight. After doing so, the computer booted and is running on the battery. Currently the power cord shows no LED, although prior to resetting the SMC and with the old battery in place, the cord was on and green and running off AC power.

I did the SMC reset, and switched to the new battery in the process. No now LED. I am hoping it is the cord, new one arrives tomorrow.

Should I have brought this to Apple store and would I have gotten a free one by chance? It is not visibly frayed but it is 3.5 years old.

I guess I will see what the new cord does, unless anyone has any other thoughts.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Let us know how the new adapter works.