macbook pro dying...should I upgrade? what to?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jasonfodor, Apr 27, 2018.

1. jasonfodor macrumors newbie

have a 2012 retina 13'' MBP

been running with no issues except for the last few months...changed out battery (worked, but really high cycle count), few keys on keyboard didn't work.

i just do some photo editing, so the only requirement is i'd like retina, unless the 2018 mbp have 4k, which I'd wait for that. other than that, i'd like 13'' or smaller (not sure if they have). heard all 2015 and up mbp are automatically retina, is that true?

don't care about ram or anything else. just basic web browsing, internet, notes, youtube, etc. probably don't need a MBP but i like viewing photography and it makes a huge difference on the retina

2. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

The last old-school MacBook Pro was the 13” from 2012 which was discontinued on October 2016. Pretty easy to spot the difference, like the SuperDrive. The other models are all Retina expect MacBook Air.

Technically, a 4K screen doesn’t have to be better than Retina. You can’t really compare these terms like this, but with the naked eye on a 13” screen the Retina can’t be easily beaten.

So get a 13” Retina Pro or maybe take a look at the 12” MacBook which has the smaller screen and is also Retina. The MacBook is less capable than the 13” though.

Maybe just select based on pricing?

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

4K is just more pixels on a 13 inch screen colour gamut brightness and layer bonding are much more important to screen quality than pixel numbers, you just don’t need anymore.

Sounds like any MacBook Pro or MacBook from 2013 onwards would suit you fine. They are all retina all come with 8gb or more. If I was you and it is available where you live i’d Buy a 2017 touchbar MBP Apple refurbished and save some money just choose on ssd size as this cannot be changed later i’d Recommend the 512gb ssd myself.

4. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

If you were happy on a 2012 rMBP, anything from the current lineup except a MacBook Air is going to be fine for you.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you want something smaller consider the MacBook, its 12 inches, and given your stated usage, that would work well processing powerwise. Otherwise, I'd consider the 13" MBP, its a great machine, you can save a bit of money by opting for the non-touchbar model. It has a 15W processor instead of a 45W one (so it will be slower), but it has a larger battery and/or the slower processor is lighter on the battery.

If you can wait until June, then I recommend that, as Apple has their developer's conference and everyone is expecting (hoping) that we'll see new MBP models uinveiled.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Don't buy a 2017 MBPro.
    Wait at least until June/July/August -- new MacBook Pro's are expected.