Macbook Pro (Early 08) and 64 bit programs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by emt8q5, Oct 15, 2008.

1. emt8q5 macrumors member

Hey all, I'm trying to install the 64 bit version of Cold Fusion Developer edition right now and I am unable to. I have the Penryn Macbook Pro that was released in February of 08, I was under the impression that this is a 64bit machine? When I try to install, I get the message:

"This installer will run only on 64 bit mac-intel. PPC and 32 bit mac-intel are not supported. If this is a 64 bit mac-intel, make sure 64 bit JDK is the default JVM. Close this installer and restart installation using a 32 bit installer."

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Emt8q5

2. webempress macrumors newbie

CF install fails ... after apple java update?

I don't have a solution but i've been going crazy trying to figure out the same problem. i had coldfusion installed and running on my iMac (09-2008 purchase), then because i was having some other issues with the system i did a reinstall--coldfusion did not work after that. after trying many things i've just completed a reinstall of leopard erasing the hard drive to remove any configuration problems. still getting the error that i'm not running a 64-bit machine.

I'm thinking it is the latest Java upgrade from apple that came out just about the time I first started getting the error preventing installation. Researching (of course done after the damage was done) shows that the java upgrade was to: 1.5.0_16 and for mac coldfusion system requirement is 1.5.0_13

since i'm just doing development i figured i didn't care if i was only running 32-bit and tried that instead--it won't let me install it with the apache already on my system since it's 64-bit.

would really like to know if anyone else is having this problem and especially if/how they resolved it.

3. webempress macrumors newbie

64-bit Coldfusion 8 INSTALL fails after Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 2

Did some tests and discovered that it IS the "Java For Mac OS X 10.5 Update 2" that causes coldfusion installer to fail. from tests i've done in the last day (so i could have missed something) only the INSTALLATION has problems. I rolled back my system to before the java update, installed 64-bit coldfusion 8 multi-server, then installed the java update. works!

hopefully adobe will figure this out and update the installer to detect the new java version as 64-bit.

hope this helps save others from wasting as much time as i did trying to figure out what was wrong with my java installation.

4. AndrewClarke macrumors member

Does anyone have any ideas for those of us who can't really roll back our Java update? I have a brand new Mac Pro here with the latest updates and neither of my 64 bit Java versions listed in "Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences.app" are working for me. I get the same error either with Java SE 6 or J2SE 5.0.

Thanks,
    - Andrew.

5. webempress macrumors newbie

Rollback is pretty easy

in case you don't find any other options, the "rollback" was actually pretty easy. You do an install of Leopard selecting the archive/save user data option (it was selected by default for me). This saves all your apps and files but sets the os back to original pre-upgrade version.

some configs do get reset to default so i made sure to save a backup of my entire system before doing the leopard install so i could dig out config and preference setting files and drop them back into place--things like special modifications i made on finder.

If you had the apple developer tools installed you'll have to re-install those as well

after the system install i ran the coldfusion installation without problems. after testing to make sure it worked i ran the software upgrades. i chose to install the latest java (mainly 'cause i was curious if it was only the installer that wouldn't work) but you can always skip that.

6. AndrewClarke macrumors member

Thanks for the encouragement :) I know it's pretty easy, but I just spent the better part of a week wrestling with faulty x86/windows hardware before deciding my time was worth more than that and plunking down $$$ for an 8 core Mac Pro. That means for now it's "get to work and make money" time, not "reinstall an OS AGAIN" time...

I'll just keep using ColdFusion in a VM for the time being.

Thanks,
    - Andrew.

7. samagination macrumors newbie

Is it possible to just roll back the java update? or maybe download and reinstall java update 1? There's gotta be an easier way around this.