MacBook Pro (early 2006 - Core Duo) in the shop - AGAIN.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anonymous Freak, May 6, 2010.

1. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

I ordered a MacBook Pro the day the first Intel Macs were announced. I got it the second day that people were getting deliveries. It was the high-end model, with all the fixin's other than the upgrade from 2.0 GHz to 2.16 GHz CPU.

This thing has been a nightmare.

I had the initial battery issue happen to me two weeks before Apple admitted it was a problem. (Took me a week to get the battery replaced, and a week later, Apple openly admitted it and opened up simple swaps to anyone.)

I had the logic board replace to solve the "screen whine".

I have had FIVE batteries replaced due to maximum capacity dropping far too fast. (All had dropped to less than 50% original capacity in less than 80 discharge cycles.) Thankfully, Apple has always done right by me on this one. Even after the official battery replacement period expired, they replaced one for me; and during the official replacement period, they replaced two that weren't even officially covered.

I paid for a logic board swap last year (out-of-warranty) to resolve graphic corruption and random crashing issues. I thought this would be the end of all my issues.

My hard drive died a couple months ago (not really surprising, it was heavily used; including being used as an always-on "desktop" for about a year and a half, which I know notebook drives aren't meant for.) Replaced with a new 320 GB drive.

My AirPort card went on the fritz. Put in an 802.11n "Mac Pro" card, I think the antenna wire is loose, though....

But, last week, my one "good" battery (technically #4, in use since late 2007, it had 79 cycles, and still had 80% original capacity,) decided to putter out. All battery meter utilities say it has a capacity of 65535 mAh (out of a theoretical maximum 5500, and the fact that it matches the maximum value of a 16-bit integer is likely not a coincidence,) and it only lasts 2 hours now, dying with no warning. Battery #6, replaced in June of 2009, had already started suffering the fate of all prior batteries, 50% capacity at 53 cycles, as of a couple months ago.

I'm sick of this thing. My numerous battery issues have had me leery of the integrated batteries in the Unibody models since they started. I likely would have gotten an Air a couple years ago if not for my battery woes; and while the i7 MBP is *VERY* compelling, I just don't trust Apple's batteries any more. (My wife's 2006 Core Duo black MacBook has been through three batteries, all of which died prematurely, although none as rapidly as my MBP's.) At this point, it MUST be the MBP itself that is killing the batteries.

But, Apple Support (possibly) comes to the rescue again. Apple used to have crappy support, but make moderately reliable systems. Now they have incredible support, but the systems seem to be crappy... I took my MBP in today, and the Genius is sending it off to their repair depot for a logic board replacement, and will swap out both of my prematurely-failed batteries for no charge, even though the system is now more than 3 years beyond its original warranty, more than a year past its longest possible AppleCare warranty, and more than six months past the paid fix warranty.

Next week we'll see if it FINALLY gets its issues resolved. (Well, I really won't know about the battery thing for a couple more months, of course, since it takes a few months for the battery issue to pop up.)

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Cool Story Bro?

Sorry you're having these problems. My 2006 MBP never gave me that level of trouble. I have one battery swap within warranty, but that was it.

You may have unfortunately got a lemon. When it comes back to you repaired, why not sell it and upgrade?

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The MBP 2006 was the first intel laptop apple made, and history shows over and over again that the first (rev A) models are quite a bit less reliable than the latter revisions.

I've always tried to buy rev B or C products, since they tend to be better.
    Although the 2007 MBP had the dreaded nvidia 8600m card, which honestly Apple can't be blamed for.
    The graphics card died on me several times, but it was every time resolved pretty quick and a two weeks ago I got a brand new i5 MBP from apple as a final replacement for my 2007 MBP. I do not even have AppleCare.

My advice would be, if you have to spend any money on your MBP, rather sell it very cheap or put it away and buy a new one.
    The unibody design is now been around for awhile and Apple have had many generations with mobile intel laptops and chipsets.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Funny, my 2006 MacBook Pro have had the following replaced:

• 1 x Screen Inverter
    • 1 x Screen
    • 4 x Logic Boards
    • 4 x Batteries
    • 1 x Charger
    • 1 x Keyboard
    • 1 x SuperDrive
    I think I have gotten my worth of AppleCare but it still annoys me how many things went wrong with this MacBook Pro. Apple seems to think it is within the norm though...

5. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

Forgot about the screen inverter... Yeah, had that replaced the first time the logic board was replaced. Never had my screen or keyboard replaced, though. (Bought a second charger, but that was because the rabbit chewed through the cord on the first, so no chance of warranty repair on that one.)

I didn't get AppleCare, and I got lucky, and Apple was good. All my serious problems happened within the first year (or after the third, when AppleCare would have already expired,) and those that were in years 2-3 were covered by Apple by repair extension and/or just plain kindness of the tech. (Like this last time.)

Yeah, sorry for the "complaint thread", but I needed to vent. Nice to know I'm not the only one with rev.a blues. (My rev.a 12" PowerBook G4 never had any issues that weren't directly attributable to it being dropped repeatedly.)

As for sell-and-upgrade, that would require that I have sufficient funds to upgrade right now. Realistically, an upgrade is at least 6 months away, possibly longer. And at this point, MacBook Pros are out of my price range, and MacBooks are missing required features. (Most notably some form of internal expansion: FW800 and/or eSATA plus an ExpressCard would be greatly preferred, I use two different ExpressCards with my MBP; but an SD card slot plus a faster-than-USB-2.0 port would be "minimum required".)

My current system is plenty speedy for me as a mobile system. Yes, the newer systems would be nice, but not enough to warrant the cost of upgrading right now just for speed; and the reliability of mine, combined with recent other issues with newer systems (iMac screen issues, anyone?) has me worried.

6. ChristWolves macrumors regular

Did your rabbit manage to stay alive after it enjoyed chewing the wire? :D

7. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

I have a c2d late 2006 mbp and ive had:

1x screen replacement
    1x battery replacement
    1x superdrive placement

all under warranty :D

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I agree w/ the batteries for these laptops being complete garbage (hopefully they've gotten better in recent years). My late 06 (purchased in jan 07) 2.33 mbp is on its 3rd battery (original and first replacement died prematurely). However, apart from this, the system has been golden. the battery issue still has me paranoid though; when the second one died and shut down my computer some of my files and programs were corrupted :mad: ... don't want that again.

9. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

MacBook 2 GHz, bought June 2006

I'm on my 3rd superdrive, 2nd logic board, 3rd top-case, 2nd power adapter, and 3rd battery (which has started shutting off without notice like the previous ones).

Now the screen is flickering (inverter about to fry?) and the fans are sounding "chunky".

Not exactly a poster child for Apple quality.

Since this computer could die any day and my AppleCare is expired, I just bought a new MBP 13" a few days ago. Hopefully I'll have much better luck with this computer.

Now my 2006 MacBook will probably last another few years :)

10. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

Sadly, yes. :p That damned rabbit has chewed through more cables than it should have. It has since been banished to a *VERY* small cage while in the house, rather than having free roam. The prior rabbit was great, only chewed one cord ever, learned its lesson, and didn't do it again. I am honestly amazed this new one is still alive, it has chewed through some meaty cords, with some serious wattage flowing through.

I know rabbits have a 'chew on wire' fetish, but I've never seen one chew through so many *LIVE* wires. (Chewed all the way through my daughter's iBook's mouse cable in two places, and power cable in four!)

11. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

Got it back. They replaced the top case and latches, the battery, and my AirPort-n card. (Dammit! I forgot that I had put an 802.11n card in there when I was handing it over, worried about them replacing my just-purchased hard drive.) They did *NOTHING* to the logic board, power circuitry, or any other internal items. So I now fully expect this new battery to experience the same symptoms in 3-6 months.

I appreciate getting yet another free battery. (This makes #7.) But I was perfectly willing to pay to have the actual underlying problem fixed.