Macbook Pro Early 2008 15" Optimum Temps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Waynec, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Waynec macrumors member

I was just wondering what other owners temperatures run at on thier early 2008 Pros?.

And how many folk on here have noticed any difference or have bothered replacing the thermal paste with either dramatic or negligible results?.

My Pro runs at around 43 degrees when using safari or itunes but can go to 80c when doing software updates, man the thing seems to get really hot. I haven't replaced the thermal paste and was just wondering whether it was worthwhile doing this or perhaps is a waste of time?.

any thoughts, I was just concerned whether the 80c temps could end up warping under the screen

thanks Wayne

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Those are perfectly normal temps for those uses

3. GGJstudios, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  4. Waynec thread starter macrumors member

To add my fans both left and right are always on and running at 2000 RPM , so basically the thermal paste issue wouldn't make a difference in my case, I only ever use the macbook for listening to audiophile quality music from my external harddisk. i'm thinking that if i ever had to use a program which used a lot of power like final cut or something then perhaps the temps would zoom up.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Assuming that you are using some type of audio interface, is it bus-powered? If so, it will drive up temperatures. Same if your external drive is bus-powered.

6. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

i have a 2008 late unbody and these tems are normail...i get around 65 70 with photoshop

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is also normal. The fans are designed to always be on when the MBP is on, at a minimum of 2000 rpm.

8. Waynec thread starter macrumors member

thanks for that on the same theme could I also ask what temperature you guys would say was excessive so that I can monitor, I feel from what people have commented maybe it isnt necessary for me to redo the the thermal paste, bought my model used so maybe a previous owner has already applied replacement paste, hence me noticing a stripped 00 phillips screw on the logic board when checking under the bonnet!!,

would a temp of say 90c when using the dvd drive to install the operating system be looked at as to high, I only say this because when I finished installing leopard again, I installed fan control and it was showing a temp of 85c around 10 mins after the install had been completed,