Macbook Pro Early 2008 battery problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamdzu, Jun 19, 2014.

1. jamdzu macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I have an older MacBook Pro. The problem at first was, that it couldn't be charged by one specific charger, it only sustained the Mac's power and I used it as such. I charged the Mac by a charger I borrowed once in a while when needed. One day I let the Mac discharge to a point where it didn't want to turn on. Even the charger that worked previously wouldn't charge the battery. I thought the battery is dead, but it doesn't behave so. I have no option of trying the battery in another MacBook. When I turn the computer on without battery and insert it later, it is not recognized.

But this is why I'm posting this thread in the first place. When I try and insert the battery really slowly, it starts blinking like it's charging for a long while, then stops. Here's a video, so you can see what I mean.
    http://youtu.be/TQEG_P2LmAs

Have you ever seen anything like this behavior? Is it a sign of a broken left I/O board?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If your battery is no longer recognized in any reliable way, then best would be to try a different battery.
    In your video, your present battery looks slightly swollen, which, if true may indicate that your battery is close to death, anyway.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Any bulging would indicate a nearly toast battery. I have a PowerBook here that charges with any adapter but will shut off at any time and has issues starting the charge cycle. Once it begins charging, it charges to 100%. I replaced the battery and it works fine now.

I think the battery is just dead from six years of use.