Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeertN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Hi, I wrecked my keyboard on my Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008). So I brought it to the Apple Store (not an actual Apple Store, but an official retailer). First they said it was going to cost around €160 to replace my keyboard, but I just received the diagnose and now it says €160 (keyboard+work) plus an extra €170 for a new top case. I made a topic somewhere else and I got a reply that my Macbook has a non-removable keyboard and that I need a new topcase as well. Is this true? I coudn't find any facts to back this up, anyways I'm going to contact the store again tomorrow and ask for an explantation, but I fear the answer.

Any information would be appreciated.

James L.

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
It is technically possible to replace just the keyboard. In fact, iFixit provides step-by-step instructions about how to do this.

The trouble is, Apple is probably unwilling to do this sort of replacement for you because it's probably easier for them to replace the entire top-case assembly and then charge you for it.

Unless you're comfortable about doing your own computer hardware work, you might have to accept Apple's quotes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.