MacBook Pro (early 2008) logic board upgrade possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPlm, Jan 19, 2011.

1. iPlm macrumors regular

Hi!

I wrote several days ago that my MBP won't boot, I took it to the service, they could't boot it, so they don't know if it's because of the nVidia 8600M GT, but they were sure the problem is with the logic board nevertheless.

My question is, can I get a logic board with faster processor and more video ram installed instead of mine? So now, my non working MBP has 2.4 GHz, 256 VRAM, and the logic board number is 661-4960 PCBA, MLB, 2.4 GHZ, REV2. As i searched google, I came up 661-4962 PCBA, MLB, 2.6 GHZ, REV2 logic board, which it says is for the same early 2008 model, but with better CPU and 512 VRAM. I'm gonna get a new logic board, might as well upgrade it if there's a possibility.

The guy in the service told me, technically it's possible, however, temperature sensors are in different places in the different places and computer won't work alright.

So if anyone's done it, I'd be happy to hear opinions!

2. alanlindsay macrumors member

Well my early 2008 MBP just failed this morning. Opened it up and got graphical glitches. Restarted and the same glitches came up. Restarted again and everything worked fine so I quickly backed it up and make an appointment at apple store.

I told the genius the problem and he stuck a special USB key in to run a diagnostic. He said the 8600m had failed but interestingly he said it wasn't the defect that has plagued this chip - some other failure. I had 26 days left on my applecare warranty so the logic board is being replaced. Good thing it didn't happen in a months time or I could have been in the market for a sandybridge MBP.

Edit: I know this doesn't address your upgrade query directly, sorry.