Macbook Pro (early 2008) not booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augu2000, May 26, 2015.

1. augu2000 macrumors newbie

Hi. I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro (old model, not unibody) running OSX 10.6.8. When I finished using it last time I closed the lid, putting it in sleep mode. A couple of days later I opened the lid to wake it up, but it did not come back from sleep.

I then unplugged the power cord and removed the battery, and then plugged the power cord in again. Now when I push the power button the front light turns on, and I can hear the optical drive turning on, but the display is still off and there is no chime boot sound.

I read a few forum posts and I tried resetting the power (removing the battery and AC adapter and pushing the power button for 10 seconds) but it did not help.

Any other suggestions on how to diagnose/solve this problem?

Thanks!!!

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Do a reset of SMC and NVRAM. Google it and follow Apple's instructions for performing the resets.

Any change?

3. augu2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your suggestions JTToft! I did try both the SMC and NVRAM resets, but the computer still does not start.

When I push the power button the front light and optical drive turn on, but the display stays off and there is no startup sound.

I was thinking that there may be something wrong with the display, but if that was the case the MBP would still start booting and make the chime, right?

Thanks again!

4. Idefix macrumors 6502

Sounds like the problem with the NVIDIA 8600M GPU. Here's a very long webpage talking about the problem:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/MacBookPro_video_failure.html#storytop

Unfortunately, Apple's 4-year warranty extension has expired. Mine was one of the last Apple repairs under that warranty, on the link above.

If you're up for a very complicated repair, you could try re-heating the solder on the motherboard. Might last 6 months, might last longer.

There are places that advertise putting in a new motherboard, but that's a losing proposition. You're better off getting a refurbished MBP.

5. bds120 macrumors member

I have 08 for sale

I have a 08 for sale if interested. I can strip it down to bare minimum if you want it.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your graphics card has likely kicked the bucket. It's a known fault with these guys.

Unluckily for you, the extended warranty program Apple had going for those ended dec 7th 2012...

7. skyway macrumors newbie

unplug screen cable, take out ram memory, press power button is bmp beep, unplug battery press power button for 10s put one ram memory to low slot, connect battery end try power on if noise to start disconnect battery end connect screen cable, if by same screen black reflow gpu

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Then it unfortunately does sound like the GPU failure the others are talking about.