MacBook Pro early 2008 - Power Button ONLY working when RAM removed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by preset, May 23, 2015.

1. preset macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro 15-inch (early 2008)

2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

OSX 10.5.8

Whilst doing a back up to an external drive my macbook pro froze & then the screen went grey. I powered down by holding the power button down & restarted back to normal.

The next day the power button would only work if I held it down continuously which after a few seconds would switch the power off.

If I released the button during this very brief power up, the macbook pro would turn off immeadiately.

However the power button DOES work normally when the both RAM modules are removed - but with a black screen & a loud beeping tone.

The backup which I was doing took much longer than expected - which raised my suspicions.

Have i suffered a logic board or/& NVIDIA graphics board failure or has the RAM died?

Luckily I backed up ALL the important data I needed.

Having been on Leopard for ages - I decided to backup & upgrade as alot of software was not supporting Leopard.

End result - a non-functioning MBP just a few months after my 2 yr old Ipod nano (7th gen.) died too.

So much for long-term confidence in Apple products :(

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You may have a couple of major issues, mostly because of age.
    Take the battery out.
    Can you boot with the battery removed?
    Can you boot with only one memory stick installed (try only one stick, in each slot, one at a time) (memory slots CAN fail, so you might have one slot that still works.
    Finally, if none of that helps, then I suspect that the hard drive has failed. That can also result in very slow access to the hard drive, if it works at all.
    And, a failed hard drive can result in a shut down within seconds after you try to boot. Finally, removing the memory would perhaps leave power on, with all the beeping - but it doesn't proceed with the part of boot that tries to use the hard drive, and just fails because you have no memory installed.
    Bottom line - hard drives, being a mechanical device, don't last forever (and Apple doesn't make the hard drive :D )

3. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The RAM probably failed. I had this happen to a few of my MacBook Pros before and it just meant replacing the RAM. Before you boot, you should clear PRAM so it can reboot fresh with the new RAM module in place.

4. preset thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply DeltaMac.

Yes, I have tried it without the battery and 1 memory in each of the slots.

I guess it must be the HDD (agreed not an Apple product :apple:)

will try and get a friend to test it when I see them next.

Thanks whtrbt7 - I am going to try & find someone who has a machine I can test the RAM modules.

I must admit I was quite proud that I had (until now) a fully functioning 7 yr old MBP. I was more than happy to keep Leopard - but other apps were leaving Leopard behind & obsolete.

Shame about that:(

5. preset thread starter macrumors newbie

Booked an appointment with local Genius Bar - thought I'd get their on the spot opinion before buying new RAM.

Will keep you posted..

Thanks again for your comments so far.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It lasted 7 years, that is a damn good innings for a laptop by any maker. Cut your losses and get a new one.

7. preset thread starter macrumors newbie

yeh well it aint over till the fat lady sings - dont mind splashing out on new RAM or HDD.

MacBookPro4,1 is/was a solid machine - so I aint giving up yet.

I'll buy a new one..when I can afford it and given up the ghost on this one. :cool: