MacBook Pro (Early 2008) with Unresponsive Trackpad button

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Coolmatt49, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Coolmatt49 macrumors member

Hey, recently I've noticed that when I try clicking on the trackpad's button, most of the time it will register the press and other times it doesn't. The button, physically, doesn't feel any different whether it registers the click or not. The button "clicks" down like normal and doesn't feel loose.

Also, when I click and hold on the button and try to move my finger around the trackpad to highlight text or drag a folder, most of the time, the computer acts like I let go of the button and pressed it down again multiple times. While it does this, my finger remains on the trackpad button without being lifted.

I recently upgraded my Mac to Snow Leopard but the problem occurred even with Leopard installed. I'm unsure as to whether or not this is a software or hardware issue. Anyone have a clue as to how I can fix this? Could it be that there's something lodged under the trackpad button to cause this? If so, how would I be able to check under the button? Thanks, any help is appreciated!

2. analytical44 macrumors regular

I had that same exact problem up until Friday. I initially took my MBP in to the Apple store and had them tighten the trackpad and adjust some sensitivity settings per the advice of a few posts I came across by users experiencing similar problems. However, that proved to only be a temporary solution as I again began experiencing the same problems within 48 hours. I made a second appointment with Apple and they agreed to exchange my trackpad.

It took about 3 days for the part to arrive and only a few hours for them to perform the repair. I brought it in at 11:00 on Friday morning and picked it up at 5:00 that afternoon. They wound up replacing the entire bottom case, not just the trackpad which I wasn't expecting. Boosted me though as a friend of mine had scratched the palm rest the second day I got my comp and now my baby is back to blemish free :D Take it into an Apple store and have them replace the trackpad if you are still under warranty.

3. metaweb macrumors newbie

metaweb

Funny thing ... I live in Mexico and bought a new Macbook Pro at an authorized premium reseller in Morelia (iShop division of MixUp Music stores). It has a small blemish on the palm rest area (they told me it was the only 13-inch mid-2009 that they had in stock). After 2 months, the trackpad stopped registering physical clicks. Did I get your refurbished Macbook Pro chasis that has been shipped south of the border to get rid of it?

4. djarpit macrumors regular

I hope thats the same problem with me.. hopefully it will work