MacBook Pro early 2008 wont boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewbash, Jul 26, 2011.

1. andrewbash macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2009
    The other day I was using the laptop and it started to run low on battery, so I put it to sleep and left it unplugged. When I came back, I opened the lid and the computer had run out of battery, so I plugged it back in. However, even after being plugged in, the MBP wouldn't boot. After leaving it a while to charge it still wouldn't boot up. It will respond to the power button - the sleep light flashes, and then goes dim, the DVD drive does it's thing, the fans spin up for a second (I think), and I think the HDD reads for a second, but I never get a chime, and the screen never comes on. I've tried resetting the PRAM, holding the power button with all power removed from the machine, and changing out the RAM/only using one stick, and the problem persists.

Now, just to make the problem more interesting, the machine has actually booted up a few times since. Once the day after it initially failed it had been plugged in, powered off, and it just booted up like it didn't have a problem. Shortly after I closed the lid to see what would happen, and the problem came back - it wouldn't even wake. Since then, it's booted about 2 other times and it works perfectly as long as I don't let it sleep.

Now, I'm hoping that the problem is something I can replace, because I doubt I can pay for a repair, or get it done for free - the MBP is well past warranty, and I've opened it up myself for repairs and voided it anyway, plus it's pretty dinged up by now. Is there anything I can try to fix the problem?
  2. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Nov 25, 2007

Quoted from that link

"If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty."

I think the GPU died. Had your model and they replaced it so many times they gave me a new 2010 i7 uMBP. Good luck.