MacBook Pro (early 2011) crashing issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matthew UK 81, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Matthew UK 81 macrumors newbie

Dear all,

Apologies for posting this again, but I think I put it in the incorrect forum and hopefully this one will get a few more replies....

Hopefully someone on these forums might be able to shed a little bit of light on a problem I am having. I bought my 15in MacBook Pro (early 2011 model) in June this year and everything was going great and I love Mac OS X and everything else about it.

However, I am starting to have a very annoying problem occur, randomly, and I would love some advice from you guys to help me out. My machine boots absolutely fine and runs normally but without any warning (quite often if I do a cmd-Q to quit a problem, or quit from the menu) it goes to a blue screen... very much akin to a screen of death from windows! Now it seems that nothing happens when I press any buttons but cmd-esc will take me to the media centre thingy (can't remember its name) and then I can click esc which takes me back to the main desktop. However... it doesn't last very long before the blue screen comes back. I then have to try and reboot as quick as I can do.

I have listed a few of the hardware specs for the machine.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B24
    SMC Version (system): 1.69f1
    Operating System: OS X 10.6.8

Thanks in advance,
    Matt.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Sounds like the WindowServer process is crashing. Do you have an external drive with a clean OS that you can boot from? Does it happen there?