Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aznskill2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
NYC
Hi, my macbook pro started making clicking sounds. I am pretty sure it is from the hard drive. This problem started a few days after I installed Ubuntu operating system. Maybe I partition the hard drive wrong but would that affect the hardware?

Can anyone help me diagnose/fix this problem. If not would I encounter any problems when bringing it to the apple store, such as warranty issue, fee that I would have to pay for fixing. I have never opened up the macbook or anything that could void the warranty. Thanks!

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
If you're certain your drive is clicking, back up your data immediately because your drive is probably about to die. If you're not sure, back up your data anyway. I would look into getting a new laptop drive. It may not be anything you did, though partitioning hard drives does wear them down, but it was probably a series of events leading it to do this. Dunno. Seriously though, back up your stuff.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi, my macbook pro started making clicking sounds. I am pretty sure it is from the hard drive. This problem started a few days after I installed Ubuntu operating system. Maybe I partition the hard drive wrong but would that affect the hardware?

Can anyone help me diagnose/fix this problem. If not would I encounter any problems when bringing it to the apple store, such as warranty issue, fee that I would have to pay for fixing. I have never opened up the macbook or anything that could void the warranty. Thanks!

At this stage, you better make a backup of everything. A clicking sound is indicative of a hardware failure on the HDD.

You can also use this as an excuse to buy your Mac a new SSD. SSDs are far more reliable because they have no moving parts, but they have finite writes (but they still last for over 7 years even under heavy writes, so don't worry about it).

SSDs are way faster too.

Aznskill2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
NYC
At this stage, you better make a backup of everything. A clicking sound is indicative of a hardware failure on the HDD.

You can also use this as an excuse to buy your Mac a new SSD. SSDs are far more reliable because they have no moving parts, but they have finite writes (but they still last for over 7 years even under heavy writes, so don't worry about it).

SSDs are way faster too.

I already have my hard drive backed up and I have been considering an SSD for awhile now. Would you recommend installing it yourself if so does it void the warranty? Also, I would have to consider my macbook battery life and if its worth the upgrade (appose to selling and buying a new mac). But anyway I would like to diagnose/fix the problem first. Thanks for replies.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
I already have my hard drive backed up and I have been considering an SSD for awhile now. Would you recommend installing it yourself if so does it void the warranty? Also, I would have to consider my macbook battery life and if its worth the upgrade (appose to selling and buying a new mac). But anyway I would like to diagnose/fix the problem first. Thanks for replies.

If you can turn a screwdriver, you should do it yourself. It takes about 5 minutes to swap.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

On classic MBPs, DIY RAM upgrades and hard drive upgrades are okay and will not void warranty, as the instructions are even printed in the manual that came with your MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.