Macbook Pro Early 2011 Red Screen Lines and Crashes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skinny91, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Skinny91 macrumors newbie

Skinny91

I have a 15" Early 2011 Macbook Pro, which I got fixed last month for a hard drive failing. But when I got it back I've been having red lines on the screen that seem to only appear with the graphics card switch to the discrete similar to this.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if this is what's causing it, but it is also regularly crashing, restarting itself, or turning itself off entirely. If any of these things do happen, it then won't boot past the log in unless left for a few hours minimum. The machine also isn't really making any noise.

I have been having a lot of problems with it (such as Logic Express no longer working) and I am wondering if it is just the age of the machine or bad luck? I don't think I have mistreated it, but for something this expensive I was hoping it would have a longer lifespan (I already replaced the graphics card last year from the common graphics card issues of this generation of Macbook Pro).

Ideally I would like to take it back to the shop (which I haven't had issues with before, it's not a 'back alley' job) that I fixed it at for them to repair as it wasn't happening before the hard drive was replaced, but when I took it back at the start they just said I was turning it off wrong (which was because it was crashing obviously) so I'm not sure how much luck I'll have down that route.

So in short I was wondering:

-What is most likely wrong?
    -Is it a cheap repair?
    -Am I better off buying a new computer?

Thanks

2. yukari macrumors regular

Radeongate.
    Free replacement of logic board by Apple is available

3. Skinny91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Skinny91

Great thanks guys, I didn't think it would be the same issue again since I replaced the graphics card already for that problem, but I'll take it into the Mac store tomorrow so hopefully it can all be sorted