MacBook Pro Early 2011 Screen Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NeyzeN, Aug 26, 2016.

1. NeyzeN macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

https://youtu.be/zyGhDFGOjrg

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro.
    You can see the problem on my macbook's screen, above youtube link.
    If you look at the right side of the screen, you'll see the problem. I don't see this problem all the time. Sometimes the screen is like this, sometimes there's no problem. But recently it's getting worse day by day. It's not about the heat, I think, because when I first start the Laptop, I face this problem sometimes. And when the laptop is really hot, everything is great, no problem on the screen.
    What may be the reason for this?
    Thanks for your help in advance :)

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Is it a 15" or 17"? If it's one of those, it could be a graphics failure. If that's the case, Apple have a repair program (free of charge) for this. See: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

If it's the 13", can we confirm which OS version you're running?

3. NeyzeN thread starter macrumors newbie

It's 13" unfortunately, the repair program is not for mine :(
    OS X Yosemite. I changed the HDD with an SSD (256GB) about a year ago. It's the only modification.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It's the 13" as can be seen just at the end of the video.

To my eyes, it actually looks like a problem in the screen itself or with the connection to the logic board.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Looks like a screen or display cable issue to me.

6. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

Try to connect to a monitor and see if the same area is affected by this. If will work without problem, then it's your monitor, if you have same problem, it's the GPU.

Also the cable as mentioned could be the problem but first try connecting the MBP with an external monitor.

7. NeyzeN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for all your help. I've just tried another monitor and worked well, no problem at all. So it looks like a Monitor problem or a cable connection problem.
    Well, How can I find the cable connecting the monitor and the GPU? Can you recommend any videos or any pictures illustrating the logic board?
    Do I have a chance to change only the cable or do I have to change the monitor?

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Check out ifixit.

9. NeyzeN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much indeed. I got it all. I've just checked ifixit and I now know the cables all. I'll check the cables, if it doesn't work, I'll have to take my Mac to a repairer.
    Thanks for everything :)