Macbook Pro Early 2011 Slow on opening apps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MPB11, Apr 8, 2012.

1. MPB11 macrumors regular

Hey everybody,

I have an early 2011 mbp (2,2 ghz quad-core i7, 4g ram) and I have noticed lately that it tends to run slow on opening certain apps (opening iPhoto or let's say, opening pages and excel at the same time or even just opening chrome) but it still does support very well multitasking. I use Logic Pro and it has no problem running at the same time as chrome, pages, twitter, excel, garage band.....I don't get it ? All of my apps used to open in the blink of an eye and now they are slower to open than my 300$ windows 7 laptop that I use at the office.

Thanks for your help!

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Has it been running continually for a long time or do you shut it off periodically? Not that Macs get particularly slow while left on, but they always benefit from a reboot.

I would suggest repairing disk permissions in Disk Utility also, which commonly speeds things up.

3. MPB11 thread starter macrumors regular

I close it everyday, and I've tried repairing the disk permissions a couple of times but it didn't change much. Thanks

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Close it every day as in just close the lid or shutdown?

5. MPB11 thread starter macrumors regular

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

its got the disease...

try a defrag, login items, background stuff, running extra items in the menu bar?

7. MPB11 thread starter macrumors regular

not much in the menu bar neither in background since this issue is on startup of some apps, how do I defrag mate?

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Pretty sure defrag isn't important for HFS filesystems, or at least in OSX.

9. MPB11 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys, felt like posting again on this thread. Is there a reason why I'm pretty much capable of repairing permissions everyday or so? No I don't do it but when I verify every once in a while, there always a possibility to repair them....I also tried to erase the free space on my HDD but I don't see much difference on the startup of some apps...my mbp runs many apps at the same time including logic pro which uses the processor quite a bit but it's still a bit slow on opening some apps.....my 350$ windows 7 laptop at the office opens apps even faster! I don't get it

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why would you think there would be a time when you couldn't repair permissions? Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.
    Erasing free space will have zero effect on app launch times. Your system performance is not affected by what you have stored on your hard drive or what you have installed. It's only affected by what you have running.

Performance Tips For Mac OS X