MacBook Pro (Early 2011) won't connect to the internet upon wake from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darnocs, Dec 6, 2018.

1. darnocs macrumors regular

I've had a weird issue lately with my 13" MacBook Pro on Sierra: any time I wake it from sleep, even though it'll be connected to Wifi (or something even an ethernet cable), it cannot connect to the internet. I have to restart the whole thing (bringing back the good ol' Windows memories) to get it to work properly.

This sounds like something that should be fixable, but I've no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Does it behave like this only with your home wifi?
    If you take it somewhere else that has wifi, does it still do the same thing?

3. darnocs thread starter macrumors regular

That could be part of the issue. I'm actually at school and the wifi here is technically open, but requires browser-based authentication or MAC address verification. I've had IT whitelist the MAC address of my MacBook Pro (like I've done with all other devices, including my 2013 MacBook Air on High Sierra), but the problem persists.

Considering that I have two Macs and only one experiences this issue on the same network makes me think it's something specific to my hardware or software setup.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"Considering that I have two Macs and only one experiences this issue on the same network makes me think it's something specific to my hardware or software setup."

Well sounds like a whole different story (than what one might have surmised by reading your first post).

If the MBP works fine at home (and other places), but DOES NOT WORK with one specific installation... that looks like a matter that you'll have to resolve with the school's IT people.

Are there any other students there, also using MacBooks, that you might check with and compare your settings against?