MacBook Pro (Early 2013) Noisy Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MartyCan, Aug 29, 2016.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Over the weekend the cooling fan on my MBP became very noisy. Sounds like a bearing noise or something. It's a rattle like noise versus a squeal or hum.

First appointment I can get to take it in is Thursday.

Question 1 is should I limit usage as much as possible until then and keep it powered off as much as possible? The fan is still running so air is moving. It may just be a nuisance.

Question 2 if anyone has had to have this repaired is it something they can do for me while I wait? Thursday is Month End at work and I really need THIS computer because it's configured to VPN through the secure portal at head office. As Murphy would have it, the timing is not good.

2. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I ran the short Hardware test and it came up with an error.

4HDD/11/40000000: SATA (0,0)

That would indicate an HD problem which I guess is possible but this computer has a SSD so the noise isn't coming from the drive.

Running the extended Hardware test now.

3. tubeexperience, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Get the fans from eBay for $15.

Instructions are on iFixit.

4. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Didn't know it would be that easy! Thanks!

5. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Fan ordered and is in transit with UPS. I have my Torx T6 driver and spudgerr at the ready!

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

You also need a P5 Pentalobe Screwdriver.

NOTE:
    [​IMG]

7. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I typoed there. I have the T5 Torx. What's a Pentalobe?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2016 ---
    Wikipedia says that a 1.5mm slot screw driver (which I do have) will work on these.

8. !!! macrumors 6502

You need the Pentalobe screwdriver to actually open the MacBook.

9. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

So if anyone was following I did finally get everything I needed this week. Got the Pentalobe screwdriver from ifixit and the fan I ordered finally arrived. UPS really botched it though. Ordered a week ago Tuesday, paid for 2nd day air. Should have come Thursday but UPS showed a mechanical failure that delayed it. Plus it was coming from USA to Canada and I think the duty and brokerage caused some delay and then the day it was on the truck for delivery status suddenly went from "out for delivery" to "unable to deliver because no one there (or something to that effect)". I was furious because I was here all day waiting eagerly for the delivery. Turns out the driver forgot to bring the customs paperwork with him and could not deliver. Finally got it Wed. Did not have time to do the swap that day but Thursday AM I did follow the ifixit instructions and the swap went fine.

There was a variance in the ifixit instructions though. The fan ribbon power cable. ifixit said to lift the flap over the connector (but be careful not to pry the connector out of the board). After fiddling around I could not find how to lift the flap and I sure was not going to force anything. In the end it turned out that the ribbon cable just slid out of the connector and the new one slid in no problem. All the other steps in the process were perfect.