Macbook pro (Eatly 2011) Hinge...How loose is too loose?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sotomsays, Mar 19, 2011.

1. sotomsays macrumors newbie

How loose is normal for Macbook Pro 17" hinge ....i have a speck case on it...so i feel like the extra weight isn't helping the matter...but there is definite resistance with one finger...but if i move the laptop around the screen either closes all the way or opens all the way...now i took the case off the top and it improves the problem...but do you think that it will get worse in time? i did go to the mac store and the displays were almost identical, whats your thoughts....thanks in advance....

2. eaf7s macrumors regular

I don't know, but I am getting infinite amusement from the title of this thread...

3. sotomsays thread starter macrumors newbie

ahah...yeah i noticed that after i posted it....just wondering if its normal...i saw one video, and at the end the kid said something like...."but the new macbook pros still do this" and the macbook closed when he lifted it....but that was only one guy...haven't found to much on it...just wondering if its normal.

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

mine is sturdy but I don't have a case on it. Don't know if that makes a difference

5. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

My 15" has a MUCH firmer hinge than my late 2008 did, infact it virtually needs two hands to start opening it it's so stiff.

6. sotomsays thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah...mines no where near that stiff...its just floppy...it could just be the shear weight of the screen... ya know...im coming from a 13" first unibdy macbook...that was pretty stiff still not as stiff as yours...but it didnt jiggle like my 17" when you reposition it or just touch it....could just be my neurosis.

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

My previous 15" did close itself if you tilted the laptop at too much of an angle, but it stayed put fine when sat on desk or lap so it wasn't an issue really.

I'm not sure quite how much weight the glass adds either, as my new one is an AG model with no glass.

8. Jmouse macrumors 6502

My 15 2010 is firm as and im sing a hard incase.

9. Exana macrumors regular

The hinge of my Macbook Pro 15" 2011 are firmer than my 2009. They are just like I want. On my old unit, the lid was closing by himself when I tilt it.

10. sotomsays thread starter macrumors newbie

It's funny that you say that about the anti glare screen. Because in the store the anti glare screen had a lot less weight to it. It didn't have that wobble when you poked at it lol.

11. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Mine is tight like hell. I have to use force to get inside it.

12. sotomsays thread starter macrumors newbie

As long as it doesn't say no...your in the clear! :D:p