Macbook Pro eBay seller

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bradan, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Bradan macrumors member

2. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Seems ok but why pay that when you can get it for less than $1700 shipped, from MacMall with the AppleInsider discount?

3. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

$100 shipping is a lot for this item, but the price itself doesn't seem all that off.

4. Bradan thread starter macrumors member

well, i'll get slapped with brokerage, shipping to canada 13% tax possibly.. :[

5. Psyclism macrumors newbie

The guy only has 75 or so feedback, and a majority of those were selling "get rich quick" scheme manuals. He has sold a few other larger ticket items with positive feedback, so I wouldn't be all that concerned.

However, PayPal would cover you in case this was a scam. You just might be out your money for a bit while they get everything resolved. I've never had to dispute anything via PayPal, but I've never heard bad things about their buyer protection program, as far as the buyer is concerned. Quite the contrary for the seller though. PayPal assumes guilt on the part of the seller.

The price he's asking is fair. Research similar models in other completed auctions.

6. Bradan thread starter macrumors member

The seller has a ton of $1 items and has sold 3 ps3's and thats pretty much it... is that really weird?

7. Bradan thread starter macrumors member

Any more input guys? About to pull the trigger... :apple:

8. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

Our opinions mean nothing, it is your money.

I bought a 13" off of an ebay seller that sells a lot of Macs. No problem.

9. Construct macrumors newbie

Absolutely avoid, unless you don't mind gambling.

The seller's recent sales history is mostly $0.99 "How to be a millionaire" scam eBooks, and now he's selling a brand new MacBook Pro at a steep discount. This should raise all sorts of red flags. Could be legit, but remember that the PayPal buyer protection process can be a long, messy process and your money could be tied up for a long, long time, or disappear completely.

If you still insist on gambling on this, pay with a credit card through PayPal so you can dispute the charges. Even that still might not work, though.

10. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I would be VERY careful in this situation. I bought my last computer, a black macbook off of ebay. I saved ~$300 off the retail price (like $100 off the edu price); however, I was VERY close to losing my parents $1400.

A guy was selling discounted iMacs, Macbooks, and other Apple hardware on eBay. He had good feedback, and his feedback reviews were FROM apple purchases, so I figured it was legit. I pulled the trigger and ordered my laptop. After a couple weeks, I stopped hearing from the guy. I didn't get any shipping updates, any emails, anything. I searched for his account and found a thread on macrumors. Here's a link to the last page, it kind of summarizes things:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=419818&page=18

Basically, he shipped a bunch of orders to the first group of customers, then when word got around and he got a TON of orders, he just took the money and ran. I got REALLY lucky and got my macbook, but a lot of people didn't.

Looking at your link, it doesn't seem like a particularly great deal; however, I would be very wary considering his feedback.