MacBook Pro EFI/Boot ROM issue! Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThePlacidCasual, Jan 15, 2008.

1. ThePlacidCasual macrumors newbie

Been trying to find help on this for ages... Help! :)

Back in 2006, I did some work for a company close to Apple, who got updates and things very slightly before the public. I joined a private wireless network, and looking through /library/receipts it lists:

"Macbook Pro EFI Firmware Update Pre-Release"

It seems my firmware is marked MBP11.0055.B06, but the release one is MBP11.0055.B08 (update 1.2). When I try to install the 'official' version it won't take.

As such, when I try to Boot Camp, I can't because I get a 'You need to update the Boot ROM' message, and it closes. I basically can't run Bootcamp at all on my Mac :(

Need to find a way to get the wrong firmware removed, and the new one installed, but I can find no way to do it. All the updates don't work, and the EFI Restore CD also does not work...

Help! :(

2. dhirajpatil macrumors newbie

Multiple Installation of EFI Firmware

I have installed three times EFI Firmware 1.5.1, the log shows previous installations were successful. When I try to run software updates, it still shows up as required update?

Any Reason why

3. mas90guru macrumors member

Same thing is happening to me.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

You have to run the EFI update separately. Its located in your Apps>Utilities folder. It does not automatically update.

Updating the EFI requires a restart, which you've probably have not done.

5. aldog macrumors regular

Thank you, i had no clue about that. software update has been running every night and trying to install. I figured it was like whatever the update was a couple of months ago that people had to let run numerous times until it worked.
    I'm not MBP31.0070.B07

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

yea its misleading how it works, but i'm pretty sure if you read the description it tells you about running it separately. I didnt know about this either at first and asked a fellow tech why it kept showing up even though I "installed" it numerous times.

superdrive firmware in my experience automatically launch the installer after downloading. I suppose since the install requires a restart they let the user decide when to do it.

7. aldog macrumors regular

It actually says in the software update dialog "this update does not require a restart" or "you will not have to restart your computer with this update"
    something like that, perhaps the link it gives has an explanation like yours, but I never clicked it, hehe, shows how concerned I was.