Macbook Pro EFI Update 1.7 Breaking Drives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gwardys, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Gwardys macrumors member

BEFORE ANYONE INSTALLS READ THIS

Apple recently released an update to remove the 1.5gb limit on the sata connection to their new Macbook Pro's. After installing the update however, many are finding their hard drives inoperable!

I am one of them! My brand new Intel X25-M works PERFECTLY in an enclosure, but my laptop fails to now see it! Apple refuses to exchange my laptop, or help me with the problem telling me that it is a third party drive.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2054387&start=120&tstart=0

Read this thread to help! We need to get back and light a fire under Apple because I'm pissed! Another problem!?

2. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Ouch... did not know that these new models are having all these issues with the drives... Glad I have my early 09 mbp.

3. harcosparky macrumors 68020

You and me both.

I have a pre WWDC 15" and a post WWDC 13".

I refuse to install the update.

However to be fair, APPLE warned about possible issues and using some drives would be unsupported.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3561

4. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Apple should've made their warning much more clear. If they issued the update at all, which they really shouldn't have. Especially since I'm having issues with a Hitachi 5k500.b. Not one supplied by Apple, but it is the same drive Apple uses. A PRAM reset has appeared to help but it still doesn't run as well as before the update (maybe my imagination, I'm playing wait and see).

Overall I'm ticked.

5. buckeye17 macrumors member

Whew, I came into this thread thinking the drives were actually being broken... like... not working ever. Sucks to hear that they don't work inside the MBP though.

6. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

I had a funny thought of this grinder thing that apple might install and it starts grinding aftermarket drives to bits if you installed the firmware update :D

7. Gwardys thread starter macrumors member

I know my drive is "not supported" but I'm sick of hearing that from Apple!

The drive worked before! It works in other computers! It's a HARD DRIVE not an overlocking mod, or a dangerous component.

Fact of the matter is that it's Apple's fault my drive is not working! They should fix it! My SSD is functioning perfectly outside of their laptop.

Why include instructions in the user manual about replacing the hard drive if it's such an "unsupported" thing to do? I feel like I have done nothing wrong as a consumer, yet I'm being treated as if I took apart the entire laptop and modified it in some dangerous ways. A hard drive is a hard drive regardless if it has an apple logo on the sticker.

I mean, right now I'm booting from my SSD over an external USB enclosure. I know my drive works, and Apple shouldn't be telling me to contact Intel for a replacement drive, or driver updates. They should be trying to fix this problem.

8. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I had a cloned external drive that absolutely would not boot. Does that count?

I didn't have this drive before the 1.7 update so I don't know if it's the problem.