Macbook Pro end of current design concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by damthemaster, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. damthemaster macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    #1
    Hi Guys,

    I need some opinions.
    I really like the current Macbook Pro Design, and am not much of a fan of the Macbook Air Design (which the new design of the MBP's are rumoured to be based on) . Especially the keyboard design with all the keys joined together. I do not want to change to the separated keys keyboard design of the current Macbook Air, Macbook and iMac line, which the macbook pro will no doubt change to. The separated keys feel really unergonomic and crap to me. (My personal opinion)

    Im a media student currently studying at University in Australia, and i do a lot of work in Final Cut Pro, Motion, Photoshop CS3. I will also soon start working in Maya and After Effects. I own a Macbook Pro 15" from December 2006, 2.16ghz core 2 duo, 3GB of Ram, 120gb Hard Drive. Paid approx $2,500 AUS for it. I would like to upgrade the machine at some stage to get a faster processing speed to cut down render times. I believe if i sell it to some sucker, i can get $1799 AUS for it.

    Now i work for an apple reseller, and they have a brand new still sealed in the box 15" MBP machine in stock which was custom ordered and never picked up. They're selling it discounted to $2149. Specs are: 2.6ghz, 2GB of Ram, 160gb Hard drive.
    I know, it's a fantastic deal, and someone could snap it up at any moment. (considering a new 2.4ghz MBP starts at $2449 student price in Australia). If i got the GST Tax removed from that (which is not hard to do, seeing as i work for them) it would end up costing me $1954. All in all a $150 loss to upgrade my current machine, keeping the current design.

    What do you all think? Worth it?
    Or should i wait until apple shoots itself in the foot and releases a new design that will be much faster, and a keyboard i will almost certainly hate. (unless by some miracle they keep the keyboard the way it is).

    Also keep in mind i dont want my machine to devalue too much, if put off upgrading say for another year i wont get 1799 for it.

    And because i work for a reseller i am able to get new machines cheaper as well. I could get a current base model MBP for about $2000 tax free. (normally 2449 with tax). Does anyone reckon the base model performance of the new line will be faster than that 2.6ghz model?
     
  2. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    Location:
    Hawaii!
    #2
    if it's design you don't like, you'll always have the refurbished models. that deal on the CTO is pretty sweet though
     
  3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #3
    That is a sweet deal but design or not, you never know what might come out performance wise that would out weigh the design difference. Just think of what could come out by macworld?

    Montevina?
    new GPU's?

    Now everyone knows that there will always be something better coming out, but i think this time around, it would be best to wait if you can.
     
  4. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

    DaveTheGrey

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2003
    #4
    For 150$ AUS i would upgrade. Very good deal imho!
     
  5. snf122 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    #5
    Don't listen to all of these "waiters", buy now!!!!
     
  6. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #6
    Note that i suppose that my comment is a bit bias because i already have a current (well, SR not penryn but who cares?) gen MBP, so it really doesn't matter to me. i would say wait, but then again, i already have one.
     
  7. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

    kingcrowing

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Location:
    Burlington, VT
    #7
    I'd say do it, sounds like a good deal to me and I totally agree about the keyboard, the pro-style is the best!
     
  8. uamwf macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2008
    #8
    I'm in the same boat...if you buy now then you will not necessarily have the most current, fastest machine in a couple of months but if you get the new/current model in a couple of months then you will have to deal with 1st rev problems that Apple didn't anticipate! Simply, if you buy now then you will have a machine who's design and performance have been finely tuned since it has been released!
     
  9. amusiccale macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Location:
    PA
    #9
    i'd vote upgrade: let other people work out the bugs in a Revision A design.
     
  10. Eric. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2008
    #10
    Yeah, there aren't many problems posted here about the current models. :rolleyes:
     

Share This Page