MacBook Pro endless statup loop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccolaco, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ccolaco macrumors 6502

my mbp goes through an endless reboot. I tried reparing using disk utility via my 10.4 disc, and have also tried resetting the PRAM..i am on 10.5 but only have the 10.4 disc that came with my computer availale. Please help.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Try using Shift to load into Safe Mode. Sounds like a problem with Finder or launchd.

TEG

3. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried, and still reboots. I also tried the holding the power button for 5 seconds with no battery or adapter connected. That also failed to work.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Did you do the PMU Reset (not sure on the procedure).

TEG

5. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

Apparently it is now reffered to as the SMC with the Intel portables. And yes I have tried that. It is the technique where you disconnect the battery and power cord, press and hold the power button for 5 seonds, and reconnect the battery and cord, and then reboot. Still fails for me.

6. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

7. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anybody have a solution for this problem? I desperately need to get my computer up and running w/o reinstalling...

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You could do an archive and reinstall. It would just replace the OS, leaving everything else untouched. That would be the fastest way to solve this problem.

TEG

9. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

If i were to do an archive and install i would have to use my 10.5 disc correct? I do not have it on me at the moment..i only have 1.4.10..but im assuming i would need my 10.5 is this correct?