MacBook Pro erased itself during Dropbox install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CultHero, Mar 11, 2015.

1. CultHero macrumors 6502

I was installing Dropbox app yesterday (toolbar access) when the app hung during install and I force quit it. During this aborted install my desktop folders dropped off. I didn't initially think much of it as thought it was refreshing but they never came back.

I did a reboot and all my files are gone. Settings wiped out, you name it. How could this happen from a basic app install???

I did a restore from time machine and it failed at the final moment. In the midst of another one but starting to get a little concerned and my Mac has been down for 24 hours now.

I have a Genius Bar appt tomorrow evening but am seriously concerned how this could happen

Fully loaded late 2013 rMBP

2. aquilc macrumors member

What other 3rd party applications were installed on your MAC?

3. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing really. I have tried to restore twice now from time machine and it has failed both times. Getting really frustrated. I have 15 years of photographs and music that I can't access right now.

How could my computer have just erased itself?

4. BasicGreatGuy, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Did you try booting via Command+R and picking the reinstall OS X option? That should install the OS again, while leaving your personal files alone.

If you have your important files backed up, the aforementioned should get you back up and running, provided you don't have a hardware problem.

Edited to add: When is the last time you checked the integrity of your back up? What if your backup is fubar? Do you have a backup of your backup that is somewhere besides TimeMachine?