Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The edge of my 13" MBP is eroding in the place where I rest my hand while I use the trackpad. I've had the computer for 14 months :)

Anyone else noticing erosion like this?

Ceebee1980

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
Chatsworth, CA
I was getting erosion through the plastic on my early 2006 MBP 15", but my understanding is that since then, they've moved to anodized aluminum unibodies? How would that erode? Do you have any abrasive material on your wrist like a metal watch or something?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I was getting erosion through the plastic on my early 2006 MBP 15", but my understanding is that since then, they've moved to anodized aluminum unibodies? How would that erode? Do you have any abrasive material on your wrist like a metal watch or something?

I've got a unibody MBP, and yup, its eroding all right. I've got no watches or anything (although my dad has eroded his palmrest with a metal watch).

There's little black speckles on the edge of the palmrest, and if you run your fingernail over them you can feel they're bumpy.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Weird...I wear a watch on one hand and a bracelet on the other 24/7 and I've never had anything as little as a scratch. IMO it sounds like the treatment may not have been up to par...the finish they use on these things are pretty durable. With that said, I have no idea how warranty may work with cosmetics nor how much it does or does not bother you, but it may be worth calling Apple given I have seen these finishes take quite a beating without issue...they are almost as beefy as whatever the ThinkPads are finished in, which IIRC is magnesium and not aluminum based.

mike 2011

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
I managed to erode the palm area on my 2004 PowerBook G4 all the way down to the white plastic. I hope my 2011 13" MBP doesn't suffer the same fait.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Weird...I wear a watch on one hand and a bracelet on the other 24/7 and I've never had anything as little as a scratch.

I have a bracelet on one arm and it certainly wore off the "paint" on my old plastic MBP, but so far my aluminium one looks like new. It'll be interesting to see whether mine does start wearing out over time.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I have a 2009 13" MBP. I have officially owned it 14 months now, and it shows no signs like this, so it must be simply isolated cases.

Another hypothesis is that it could be something with your body chemistry. I have seen some peoples oils/sweat be acidic enough to do a pretty significant amount of damage over time.

edifyingGerbil

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
I have a 2009 13" MBP. I have officially owned it 14 months now, and it shows no signs like this, so it must be simply isolated cases.

Another hypothesis is that it could be something with your body chemistry. I have seen some peoples oils/sweat be acidic enough to do a pretty significant amount of damage over time.

My understanding of Aluminium is that it forms an oxide layer that's thin enough to be transparent but strong enough to protect the aluminium from corrosion. The only way to get Al to react with acid is to boil it first which removes the oxide layer...

I don't know the chemistry or physical properties of Al that has been anodised, however. Anyone care to shed any light?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Well my MBP gets so hot it makes my hands sweat. That happens a lot :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.