Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyemacg5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Derbyshire, England
Hey Guys.

When I get home from class today I will have a brand spanking new Macbook Pro for me. It's gonna be used for Graphic Design.

I will be traveling with it from home to work and hopefully have a 21" CRT at work to plug it into.

What would you say essentials to get are?

I'm looking for hardware not software essentials btw.

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
Wacom tablet - graphire or intuos... cintiq is on my wish list

Decent very strong case, i've already got a dent in the corner and that was in a sleeve, in a decent bag :_(

iMouseHD

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
A good laptop stand wont hurt either if you are using a dual display, my two cents...

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
I think of all things, the stand should be the lowest priority on your list. It's an item for mostly aesthetic purposes, or at least, has the lowest functionality of all the other stated items.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I think of all things, the stand should be the lowest priority on your list. It's an item for mostly aesthetic purposes, or at least, has the lowest functionality of all the other stated items.

My makeshift stand is composed of 4 strategically placed thick books to raise the MBP to the level of my external monitor, and creating enough gap between to let the air flow... and also to save the MBP from the occasional water spills..

So far, the stand has costed me a trip to the library two times- once to get the books, and other to get them renewed :D

Yes, I am a poor college kid.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Wacom tablet - graphire or intuos... cintiq is on my wish list
:_(

I got the wireless bluetooth Wacom tablet and love it. I would also get the new small bluetooth apple keyboard. I use my slim neoprene case to keep the macbook pro inside of my carrying case. That way I can grab that and still have it in a protected case laying on the desk.

nadinbrzezinski

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2007
As in get right now

a good solid case... you are going to transport this machine.

I talk from experience, I have a good, solid case that I have used with my eight year old HP tablet (talk about vulnerable) that is going to be replaced on Monday when the new macbook gets here.

Your first investment is what will protect your investment, and though the coolness factor might be important, functionality and protection are a larger consideration. Hey, my case is six years old, it is in great shape, and it is not the best looking. Guess what will happen to it? Yep, will protect my next machine.

Your second investment should be an Intous tablet... at the very least. You are using this for graphic design and the Graphire does not have the definition to handle that.

I have the smallest, which will work fine to transport with the Mac Book after I load Corel Draw on it.

So you may want to get a small tablet for travel and if you wish another larger one for home... hell perhaps a cintiq is in your future... but those guys are pricey.

But your absolute you need to get it now before you even take the new machine for a trip is a good solid case. Anything else, is academic if you don't protect your investment

:cool:

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
My makeshift stand is composed of 4 strategically placed thick books to raise the MBP to the level of my external monitor, and creating enough gap between to let the air flow... and also to save the MBP from the occasional water spills..

So far, the stand has costed me a trip to the library two times- once to get the books, and other to get them renewed :D

Yes, I am a poor college kid.

That's what I call brilliant! :D

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
That's what I call brilliant! :D

It reminds me of a few months ago when I was at school in the lab working on a CS assignment. My MacBook screen just wasn't providing enough workspace anymore, so i pulled one of the 23" Cinema displays off the wall and (after remounting it on its stand) set it up next to my laptop on the table. Well, that wasn't quite good enough.

So I went over to the bookshelf and grabbed the two biggest books I could find and set the display on them, with the MacBook in front underneath the display. It was pretty funny, when I went to get the books, my friend saw that I had grabbed the Numerical Analysis textbook as well as a thick guide to C++, which were the two things that the project required coincidentally, and asked "Wow, you actually going to use those for the project?"

"Yep" I replied "but not like you think!" And proceeded to set the monitor on top of them.

Best setup ever... now I just need the cash to afford it :)

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
Hey Guys.

When I get home from class today I will have a brand spanking new Macbook Pro for me. It's gonna be used for Graphic Design.

I will be traveling with it from home to work and hopefully have a 21" CRT at work to plug it into.

What would you say essentials to get are?

I'm looking for hardware not software essentials btw.

get a good mouse from logitech..not the mouse from apple..

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(
If you are looking for a tablet look into bamboo, I am a graphics designer as well (photoshop) and I plan on getting this one this year (around black friday :p)

http://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Bamboo_C80.cfm

Also for a logitech mouse, that is the best way to go, try for a bluetooth because the other ones have an external USB plug in that can get nasty if you are using a laptop. I will still always and forever love my LX7

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/152&cl=us,en

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.