Macbook Pro - External 5.1 Speakers with 3 Audio-Jacks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brendan Del, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Brendan Del, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

Brendan Del macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2011
    I am a heavy music fan and I currently own the Logitech X-530 PC Speakers. The speakers outputs with three audio jacks: Green: Front left/front right | Orange: Center/Sub | Black: rear left/rear right

I now own a macbook pro but there is only one audio input and not the three required for the surround sound. Plugging only one in means that only a fraction of the speakers will work. What are the possibilities of being able to use all of the speakers? Some sort of converter?

The speakers do not have an optical/TOS cable so that's one option out the window. I heard the "Griffin FireWave External 5.1 Sound Card" works well but they no longer manufacture them. An alternative?

Thanks in advance,
  2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

Feb 4, 2009
    Northern District NY
    You'll need an external sound card or a multichannel decoder hooked via the MacBooks optical out port. Just google external 5.1 sound cards.
  3. Brendan Del thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2011
    Thanks, I've been looking for the past few hours though and I haven't come across anything that is doable in a decent price range. I don't need anything high end that will run me 100 - 200 dollars as these speakers are simply mediocre. Any suggestions?
  4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mar 14, 2008
    You say your speakers are mediocre and that you're a music fan in the same thread, I don't follow you?

Any external DAC running off of firewire or an optical decoder will work, take your pick.

Since music is stereo anyway, I would simply invest in a nice pair of bookshelf speakers.
  5. Brendan Del thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2011
    Haha, I'm a student at the moment and don't have the money to invest in a good pair of speakers so they are mediocre. I still am an addictive music listener regardless :)

I just ordered something today and hopefully it will work, thanks for the help!