Macbook Pro + External Display Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LunarianCrystal, Jun 24, 2014.

1. LunarianCrystal macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in but I've been having a minor inconvience connecting my macbook pro to my Samsung TV. Everything seems to work perfect until I play FFXI (Super old, outdated MMO). I sometimes occasionally get these lag spikes on my TV where the TV kind of like...freezes in short bursts. I notice it tends to happen in lag heavy areas. The thing is is I never experienced this just playing on the macbook alone.

My macbook is a 2011 model..using the Intel HD 3000. The TV works 100% fine with everything else that isn't that game. I also have my macbook in clamshell mode so it isn't running multiple displays... Anyone know of a possible solution or what the problem could be? I have 4 gigs of ram. The reqs for FFXI are like.... nothing. This game ran on a PS2. I'm honestly not sure what it could be other than maybe connection speed PLUS the processing power it takes to send the display from the macbook to the TV. Again...I don't have these random burst lag spikes when I play the laptop by itself.

Thanks in advance!

2. catean macrumors regular

catean

I think when you connect an external monitor the dGPU kicks in, so you are not using the INTEL 3000. The 2011 models are well known to have issues with the dGPU.