Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troyrodr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
Hi all.

I have recently bought a 13" Macbook Pro and wanted to hook up an external display (an oldish acer 19"). I have a Mini Displayport to DVI adapter hooked up to a DVI -VGA adapter which leads to the display.

I haven't got it to work yet. I have followed advice about closing the lid and using usb mouse and keyboard with no luck. The only thing that happens is that the screen on the laptop flashes blue for about a second after plugging in the Mini DisplayPort adapter.:confused:

Any thoughts?

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
Hi all.

I have recently bought a 13" Macbook Pro and wanted to hook up an external display (an oldish acer 19"). I have a Mini Displayport to DVI adapter hooked up to a DVI -VGA adapter which leads to the display.

I haven't got it to work yet. I have followed advice about closing the lid and using usb mouse and keyboard with no luck. The only thing that happens is that the screen on the laptop flashes blue for about a second after plugging in the Mini DisplayPort adapter.:confused:

Any thoughts?

I believe that adapter is DVI-D -- it only has digital signals. All a DVI->VGA adapter does is change the pin form factor, it doesn't do any electrical conversion -- it is relying on the DVI end to have analog signals. But if they are not there from the Mini DisplayPort adapter, there's nothing to convert.

I believe you need to get the Mini DisplayPort -> VGA adapter.

troyrodr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
I believe that adapter is DVI-D -- it only has digital signals. All a DVI->VGA adapter does is change the pin form factor, it doesn't do any electrical conversion -- it is relying on the DVI end to have analog signals. But if they are not there from the Mini DisplayPort adapter, there's nothing to convert.

I believe you need to get the Mini DisplayPort -> VGA adapter.

Ah okay, I wondered whether the adapter could do that, now I know. Now down to the shops! Cheers Bwa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.